The scene: You're the teacher in that Connecticut classroom and a young man with a dangerous-looking gun bursts through the door.

The action: Your amygdala sends its messages. Do you take flight or give fight?

CUT!!! the director screams before the amygdala's other message gets through your reasoning brain.

Please, no statistics.

Views: 309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm a teacher (University) myself and, although there are strict regulations regarding the carry of concealed weapons on school campuses,... I carry. My students are under my care when they're in my classroom.

Fact-Checking the NRA's Wayne LaPierre (in an email from Politi-Fact, a project of the St. Petersburg, Florida, Times):

"After a quiet period following the shootings in Newtown, Conn., the National Rifle Association has been making a case for armed guards at schools and other measures rather than restrictions on guns.

"We've fact-checked many claims about gun control -- you can find them on our guns subject page -- and this week checked three that Wayne LaPierre, the group's executive vice president, made in an op-ed in the Daily Caller:

"To make the case that major cities were unsafe, LaPierre made a claim we've checked many times, that Phoenix "is already one of the kidnapping capitals of the world." We rated that False.

"He said President Barack Obama " flagrantly defies the 2006 federal law ordering the construction of a secure border fence along the entire Mexican border." We rated that Mostly False.

"LaPierre claimed that after Hurricane Sandy, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg "refused to allow the National Guard into the city to restore civil order because Guardsmen carry guns!" That earned a Mostly False."

(I'm one of the NRA's members who say LaPierre doesn't speak for me, and what he's been saying bothers me a lot.)

RSS

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service