i'm curious as to what the A/N community thinks about this form of advertising. 

personally, i like it.  no doubt, they tend to incite controversy, and many people misunderstand the intent and message.  still, even bad publicity is better than none at all.  take this for example:

http://www.ydr.com/state/ci_20117738/atheist-protests-year-bible-bi...

in Harrisburg, PA this billboard went up just the other day to the utter outrage of local, African Americans in the community.  it quotes the Bible (with the source underneath), saying "Slaves, Obey your Master."  of course, the angry mob directs their ire in the wrong direction, totally missing that it is their Holy Book whose message is being repeated.  naturally, the billboard was vandalized and partially torn down on it's first night. 

similar controversies have arisen in Colorado, Texas, Minnesota, and most recently New York City.  the timing is ideal, as the upswing in Atheist converts is breathtaking.  strike while the iron is hot, as they say.  question is, are the billboards actually garnering converts or just stirring up hatred towards Atheists?  if it is the latter, should we still be in favor of this tactic? 

what say you?

Views: 591

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hug welcomed!

Oh! come on, folks! Any kind of resistance that challenges the status quo will get fowl language and rotten eggs thrown at those who dissent or even assault and murder; it is part of the process. If one does not have a thick skin, he/she should not enter the arena. If you younger folks haven't discovered that by now, you had better talk to some of the old timers of the 1960s era. 

Fowl Language?  Rotten Eggs?!?  This looks like a job for....

SUPER-CHICKEN!

[You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Joan! {giggle!}]

Super-Chicken and Ficking Chuckin ... looks like we have a growing Fowl team. 

Nothing paltry about poultry in THIS outfit!

You people need to get laid...

[TICH!] There's ALWAYS a critic!

Ha ha ha!! Yes, yes we do. Sign me up for that!

My feathers are too ruffled!

Hey, …it was just a bad yoke!

Ahhh, the "cock block", …sorry boys, you'll just have to wing it. 

I said my feathers were too ruffled!

Well, if that's owl it is...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service