i'm curious as to what the A/N community thinks about this form of advertising. 

personally, i like it.  no doubt, they tend to incite controversy, and many people misunderstand the intent and message.  still, even bad publicity is better than none at all.  take this for example:

http://www.ydr.com/state/ci_20117738/atheist-protests-year-bible-bi...

in Harrisburg, PA this billboard went up just the other day to the utter outrage of local, African Americans in the community.  it quotes the Bible (with the source underneath), saying "Slaves, Obey your Master."  of course, the angry mob directs their ire in the wrong direction, totally missing that it is their Holy Book whose message is being repeated.  naturally, the billboard was vandalized and partially torn down on it's first night. 

similar controversies have arisen in Colorado, Texas, Minnesota, and most recently New York City.  the timing is ideal, as the upswing in Atheist converts is breathtaking.  strike while the iron is hot, as they say.  question is, are the billboards actually garnering converts or just stirring up hatred towards Atheists?  if it is the latter, should we still be in favor of this tactic? 

what say you?

Views: 600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the head of American Atheists in Harrisburg had a one on one with a state lawmaker about the year of the Bible, and asked if next year could be the "year of the atheist".  his request was denied.  go figure. 

Matthew, that figures!

Are we actually supposed to be SURPRISED about that one?

Right! Loren.

now that the billboard has been vandalized, i wonder whether the police will accept a report of destruction of private property?  that's $1300 stolen from this Atheist group.  will there be any recourse?

HARRISBURG, Pa.—A billboard in the state capital sponsored by atheist activists protesting the designation of 2012 as the "Year of the Bible" in Pennsylvania was criticized Tuesday by a black legislator who called it racist.

I can understand a black legislator objecting to the billboard because the black church played a key role in maintaining unity and focus from slavery days through Civil Rights struggles. I taught for two years in a black housing project in Washington DC , including April of 1968 when MLK was assassinated and riots broke out all over the country. The black community was in utter chaos and blacks went to the alter screaming out their pain … then developed strategies to gain their rights as citizens … which still has not happened.

That said, we live in the USA, have freedom of speech, we have the right to speak out when we see injustices and in my opinion, the church and religiosity has overtaken to a degree that has to be resisted. How better to resist than quote the bible with citations in all it’s horrid detail. 

State Rep. Thaddeus Kirkland, D-Delaware, objected to the image of a shackled black slave above a biblical passage that says, "Slaves, obey your masters." Kirkland, who supported the House resolution, said the billboard takes the Bible out of context and depicts racism and hatred. "I'm a Christian," Kirkland said. "My master is Jesus Christ, so I obey him." The billboard, which sits a few blocks from the state Capitol, is co-sponsored by a group called American Atheists.

So many people who put their faith in the bible and its teachings, is it any wonder that they have not become the primary oppressors of the modern world. When one cherry picks the little niceties out of a book and ignore the demonic, then they delude themselves. There are always those who use the demonic to justify their greed and insensitivity. Kirkland is the one who takes the bible out of context and this can be proved by billboards stating the reality of the book and tells an observer where to find the quote. 

it is AMAZING that even a quote like this is claimed to be taken out of context.  what other context can there be?????????!!!!!!!!!!  the only argument can be that it is an old book and not to be taken literally.  which is EXACTLY the point!  year of the bible?  i'd prefer a year of Dr. Seuss.

The problem is, Joan, They'd Have To READ It, First! I seriously have to wonder how many christian sheep actually realize that slavery is endorsed in BOTH halves of that lousy piece of fiction!

wouldn't it be great to put dozens of billboards with different absurd bible passages all over Harrisburg to "support" the year of the Bible.  they wanted it, let's give it to them.  anyone want to start a fundraiser for this Harrisburg group?

I have a great juxtaposition of verses for the first billboard:

Matthew 5:44: Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.

Luke 19:27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

Perhaps picturing someone off to the side, reading both quotes with a bewildered look on his face!

Great!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Craigart14 replied to Russell Pangborn's discussion Atheist Reasoning on Gun Control in the U.S
4 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to Joe's discussion Rep. (R) Louie Gohmert Proves God's Existence With One Simple Equation and Explains Why Atheists are Intellectually Inferior in the group Atheist News
12 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Joe's discussion Rep. (R) Louie Gohmert Proves God's Existence With One Simple Equation and Explains Why Atheists are Intellectually Inferior in the group Atheist News
17 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Joe's discussion Rep. (R) Louie Gohmert Proves God's Existence With One Simple Equation and Explains Why Atheists are Intellectually Inferior in the group Atheist News
21 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to Joe's discussion Rep. (R) Louie Gohmert Proves God's Existence With One Simple Equation and Explains Why Atheists are Intellectually Inferior in the group Atheist News
23 minutes ago
Pat replied to Joe's discussion Rep. (R) Louie Gohmert Proves God's Existence With One Simple Equation and Explains Why Atheists are Intellectually Inferior in the group Atheist News
25 minutes ago
32 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Parenting Little Heathens
35 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Ivy's group Atheist Humor
47 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Ivy's group Atheist Humor
49 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Luara's discussion Proof of god(s)
52 minutes ago
Plinius replied to Luara's discussion religious magazine in doctors' office
52 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service