A friend sent me a message as follows:

"I have a question for you:
As a scientist, how is it that you are an atheist and not agnostic?"

I thought it was an interesting question. Should I, as a scientist who is intimately familiar with the limits of our current knowledge and understanding, be more open to the idea that we just don't or can't know the answer to the God Question?

This was my response:

"This may not be true for everyone, but from my perspective an agnostic believes that there's probably SOMETHING going on in terms of a God or
Spirit or Universal Energy or What-have-you, but we don't or can't know
for sure. For a while I described myself by saying 'I think I'm
agnostic.'

An atheist doesn't rule out the possibility that there is SOMETHING going on, but they haven't seen any evidence that
convinces them to believe in said SOMETHING. If I do encounter some
convincing evidence of a higher power, I'll change my mind. For now,
the available data supports the hypothesis that there is no such thing,
so that's the theory I'm working with. It feels pretty scientific to
me"

What about you?

Tags: Agnosticism, Atheism, Scientific, Thinking

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I 'know' there's know god.
Not I think. Nor maybe. Carbon, atoms, lightwaves, kinetic/mass?
Listen, agnostics fancy space aliens imho
payce!
theism - belief in a God or gods

a-theism - without a belief in a God or gods.

That is the definition I'm pushing as the most accurate description of people self-identifying as atheists.
Wow, you guys have had quite the discussion here. I appreciate both of your efforts, it's been an interesting read.
I'm in the same boat as you. I don't outright reject the possibility of a higher power, but I won't accept it until there is some evidence. The religious texts and dogma I reject outright because there is enough evidence to show that it is pretty much bogus.
Well, it depends on whether you're using the ACTUAL definition for the word agnosticism (wherein you think it's impossible to know whether or not god exists) or what people have turned the word in to (you think that there's a god but you aren't part of an organized religion). If you're using the actual definition, then they aren't exclusive terms. I'm an Agnostic Atheist. I don't think we can know whether or not god exists. If you're using the modern definition, then I don't really know.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Cyn X posted a blog post
21 minutes ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"Back from an AMAZING Cars & Coffee event. Tons of amazing machines and some neat folks to talk to!"
21 minutes ago
"Back from an AMAZING Cars & Coffee event. Tons of amazing machines and some neat folks to talk to!"
21 minutes ago
21 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
52 minutes ago
sk8eycat commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
1 hour ago
BIPLAB DAS commented on BIPLAB DAS's blog post A 9 year old girl was mentally tortured after being accused as witch.
1 hour ago
BIPLAB DAS commented on BIPLAB DAS's blog post A 9 year old girl was mentally tortured after being accused as witch.
1 hour ago
sk8eycat commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Ethics of Atheism - A Conversation between Stefan Molyneux with Dr Peter Boghossian
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Ethics of Atheism - A Conversation between Stefan Molyneux with Dr Peter Boghossian
1 hour ago
Loren Miller replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Ethics of Atheism - A Conversation between Stefan Molyneux with Dr Peter Boghossian
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service