http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/08/david-silverman-atheist-te...

Speaking at a gathering of local atheists, humanists, freethinkers and other nontheists in a chemistry lecture hall at Stanford University, David Silverman, president of American Atheists, a national advocacy group for nontheists, announced Tuesday (May 6) that his New Jersey-based organization would launch the first television channel dedicated to atheism in July.

needless to say, this is awesome!  anyone disagree?

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Considering all the religious networks out there, I have to say I currently have ZERO problem with it.  I look forward to seeing what they put up!

Much as I think this will kick up a hornet’s nest of BS from the secularist crowd, I say bring it on. I think it’s way past due. 

I would love Atheist TV. Of course, they couldn't (and wouldn't) have all new TV programming but they could carry the ACA with Atheist Experience and Non Prophets, along with other like programming and many people would get to see these for the first time. Some people never think of streaming these, or have a lower bandwidth, so Atheist TV should be an instant hit. Many things on You Tube would end up there as well.

It would be great to see some YouTube atheists given a chance to air their stuff on Atheist TV, from The Atheist Experience to DarkMatter2525, The Thinking Atheist, and my personal fave, Steve Shives.  I suspect that most of those people would jump at the chance of their work finding a wider audience as well, so I doubt that filling air time with programming would be a problem.

This is probably some silly musing on my part, but let's say the TV channel starts up. I get satellite TV, and the channels are divided into various sections: local channels in one group, HBO and movie channels in another, children's programming, Science, Discovery and National Geographic, etc. I can see some two bit idiot/religious exec. putting this in the middle of the religious programming rather than the science group.

If this pans out, I'll certainly be adding it my "favorites" button on the remote.

I'll believe it when I see it.

This caught my eye:

"...Silverman, 49, said the television channel, which will be available via Roku, an Internet streaming player that attaches to televisions like a cable box, will run atheist content seven days a week, 24 hours a day. He estimated it will reach 7 million households and will be free, at least initially...."

I've been a user of both Roku audio and video devices since approx. 2005 and 2007 respectively and have often thought that there should be some atheist video.  Basically, I'll browse in the channels area and see a lot of energy being put forth by Christians into making channels and shows and have wondered if there was an atheist channel or show out there that could be corralled into a channel format.

I have found a few of the atheist shows on audio by going into some of the internet radio areas within the Roku Video presentation (also can be found on the audio device, but I stopped using that years ago).  The internet atheist radio experience seems ok, but I think this is good news to see an atheist video channel coming along.  

I do agree with the comment that was made that this may bring some BS out of the woodwork from the secular side, but having a channel will be better than no-channel as long as it's reasonably well managed IMO (which includes some deliberate open-ness toward different atheist views, IMO).

Anyway, one of the other responses here talked about the different content that is already out there.  I'd add that I have enjoyed some of the Penn Jillette videos, maybe they could be included as candidates for airing on this channel.

Maybe it's just an administrative question for Roku, but I wonder if the channel will be presented in the same area as the religion and spirituality channels, or if it will be put somewhere else.  IMO, the Roku channel area has become a bit of a zoo and I have written about this and a few other points over the years on Roku's discussion forum.

The releases seemed to present this as though it is a complete first, but I think there have been various atheist TV shows over the years, haven't there?  Just no real channel?

By the way, here is Roku's present list of "Religion and Spirituality" presently at 393 channels (?).  I'm not sure if I've noticed that many when accessing directly via the Roku (I never go to this web area):

http://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/religion-and-spirituality/by-ratings

I also just now see discussion of a secular channel added last year?  Will have to look into it more.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=55569&start=0&a...

http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/21741/sound-reason

"...

Sound Reason

Categories: Religion & Spirituality

Noteworthy publicly available podcasts traversing the span of freethought opinions. News, views, philosophy, debate, counter-apologetics, and discussion on all matters concerning the human condition.

Sound Reason

Developer: JFXIA

The long established patterns of faith are changing, not just in the USA, but slowly across the World; traditional religion is increasingly finding itself being challenged by skeptical thinking, secularism, and atheism.The Sound Reason channel makes accessible on the Roku a representative sample of the best internet audio podcasts from the skeptic and freethought movement -- the funniest, the most thought provoking, the most educational, the most lively...The intended audience includes non-believers wanting to listen to a wider range of views from within the freethought community, and believers wanting to test their faith against counter arguments. The included podcasts range in style from panel discussions, to debates between believers and non-believers, to phone-in shows, to opinion pieces. Episode topics may include such things as counter-apologetics, philosophy, morality, politics, and education. Because occasionally content may include controversial subjects (such as pro-life / pro-choice debates), parental guidance for young children is advised..."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service