Thank you for your invitation to join your group.

I spent the first years of atheism learning what it wasn't and then learning what it is. This is an oversimplification of my thinking, but it kind of sums up at least a starting place to be able to describe what it means for me to be an atheist. The concept is not original with me, but I internalized the ideas and can no longer remember who wrote about it on Atheist/Nexus. If anyone recognizes it, please let me know. 

The atheistic outlook rejects all concepts of God.

There is a general consensus among participants that the particular social justice issues it focuses on are important to them.

There are a number of people whose words have proven helpful in clarifying the need for such a movement, and whose consistently enlightening contributions have engendered a certain level of trust.

There is a commitment to take seriously the need to have and maintain space where atheists, without interference from those opposed to the whole endeavor, can discuss social justice issues.

There is no dogma,

There is no hierarchy,

There are no membership requirements.

Views: 239

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for Joining and yes I strongly agree with you.

To me, atheism means that gods do not exist ...

Joseph, of course you are correct. 

Yes I agree with you Joseph but now we use other words like free thinking humanism anti-theism etc

Well, that's when you add different words.  Alas, atheism by itself includes none of that.  Skepticism, lack of dogma, and Humanism aren't automatically included.

Hell, we have a Laveyan Satanist wandering around here somewhere.  I can't say he isn't an atheist, because he fits the one criterion of not believing in gods.  He believes in some other silly things, though.

Now, when you go meta, such as the New Atheism movement ... you're sort of re-branding yourself, and you can begin to include other things, such as skepticism, free-thought, the usefulness of the scientific method and how you should apply it to everything ...

But that doesn't change base atheism.  When you encounter a base atheist, you should congratulate them for getting that far, then explain to them WHY they should be an atheist.  We need to explain to them why they should leave behind homeopathy, astrology, chakras, and all of the other nonsense, in addition to gods.

Joseph P, I like your feedback, especially when I over-state something. Your comments keep my thinking clearer. 

Heh, no problem.  Semantics and pedantry are what I do.

I spent the first years of atheism learning what it wasn't and then learning what it is. This is an oversimplification of my thinking . . .”

Joan;

I don’t believe you can really oversimplify atheism.  In fact, I am of the notion that a lot of the discussions here at A/N are attempts to complicate atheism. . . . or are the result of the inability to accept atheism’s simplicity.

The atheistic outlook rejects all concepts of God.”

Even the rejection of “all concepts of God” is a complication, as rejection is a proactive stance, and atheism is not, in essence, proactive.

Atheism is simply the lack of faith in the existence of god(s).  Nothing more.  It’s not “knowing” that there is no god(s).  It’s not a rejection of theism, or an examination of ideology, or even an explanation of a philosophy.  It is simply accepting the fact that you have no faith in the existence of some sort of supreme being.  It’s the acceptance of an absence.

The rest of your posting, dealing with social justice issues, is appealing, thoughtful, and, indeed, important to most atheists.  But atheists do not have a monopoly on thinking about such things, anymore than theists have a monopoly on morality.

Atheist, "It is simply accepting the fact that you have no faith in the existence of some sort of supreme being.  It’s the acceptance of an absence.

Asa Watcher

I feel a wing of the New Atheism should be militant.  In my post “Why I Became A Militant Non-Believer,” I recount the reasons for the position.  By far the most important is the story of how Opus Dei supported W. Bush and changed the course of the 2004 election and hence the history of the world.  It’s in the last paragraph—enough to trouble any reasonable American. This country will be paying the price for generations to come. 

To think, the American people re-elected a moron because of his stance on abortion.  Even now, it’s difficult to continence.  We have to fight back.  These ministers would turn this country into a theocracy if the American people are apathetic enough to let them.

Atheist, "It is simply accepting the fact that you have no faith in the existence of some sort of supreme being.  It’s the acceptance of an absence.

Asa Watcher

"Militant Non-Believer" "We have to fight back.  These ministers would turn this country into a theocracy if the American people are apathetic enough to let them."

Richard Goscicki

I agree with each of you and is the reason I want a qualifier. Hitch used "anti-theist" and I come as close to being "anti" on this subject as I am pro-choice. Thanks for the distinctions.  

I agree! Watching the Religious Right come on little cat feet, look around on silent haunches and move on to politics, government, education, health care, foreign policy even as it distracts the public with issues of abortion and GLBT. 

I am naturally inclined to be a militant non-believer. It comes easy for me now. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service