All too often I hear people say, "I was an atheist when I was in college/younger/a teenager, but then god found me and I became a christian." In my experience, the Atheist community consists largely of people over 30 and I think that A/N reflects that. Along with the testimonials of alleged "ex-Atheists" it would appear as though there is a narrative within the christian community that Atheism is a young persons belief, and that the increased wisdom of many years leads to a conclusion that god exists. That conclusion is usually based on things like a "gut feeling" or "some of the unexplainable things I've seen", or "how life seems to work its self out".

So what gives A/N? How many of us were "converted" when we were young and maintained our beliefs and how many of us took many many years to dis-believe. Also, why is it that people who profess to atheism in their youth eventually join a church? I suspect that the answer is more complex than the simple need for a security blanket.

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Its a very odd thing for someone to say, that god found them, I thought that god was supposed to have everyones address and phone number.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Pat replied to Loren Miller's discussion Anti-Islam ads coming to NYC buses, subways (CBS News) in the group Atheist News
6 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
10 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
27 minutes ago
Joseph Corder replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Chimp-on-chimp murder. Humans are not the only violent species.
49 minutes ago
Loren Miller added a discussion to the group Atheist News
57 minutes ago
Luara replied to Travis Hedglin's discussion Whats the deal with feminism?
1 hour ago
Luara replied to MattyLJ's discussion Moving to Florida
1 hour ago
Joseph Corder posted photos
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"Doing the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Walk this morning, a nice 3-mile jaunt. I'll let you know how it goes."
2 hours ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"Doing the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Walk this morning, a nice 3-mile jaunt. I'll let you know how it goes."
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service