How do atheists justify eating meat on an ethical basis?

As we all evolved from common ancestors, and atheists reject the idea that we have god given dominion over the other animals, what ethical justification is there for not considering then suffering of other species?

It seems that to discriminate on the grounds of species is just as arbitrary as to discriminate on the basis of skin colour, sex etc.

I base my ethics on minimising unnecessary suffering and death and promoting well being and happiness. What are others ethics based upon?

Tags: Vegetarian, vegan, veganism, vegetarianism

Views: 1142

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Animals eat other animals. I live near the mountains and a cougar killed and ate my precious cat, Freddy D. Butthole. Now I have taken it upon myself to exact my revenge on all animals, even herbivores (or as I call them, "enablers"). That cow would shoot your mother in the face if it had the chance.

Ha! Awesome

Cool. Something to remember Butthole by.

I originally named her Figaro, but I also had five brothers. And they thought my kitty was a butthole. :|

Mad cow disease confirmed in California

The United States Department of Agriculture confirmed today that the nation's fourth case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), sometimes referred to as "mad cow disease" was found in a dairy cow in California. The animal has been euthanized and the carcass is being being held under State authority at a rendering facility in California and will be destroyed.

This article says that these cows did not contract BSE from food.  Where else could they have gotten it?  I think the corporations  probably went back to their dirty habit of feeding ground up cows and sheep to cows in their food.  

More meat!  More meat!  You'll go from not wanting to think about what it is, to not being able to think at all.

Without god we need to find our own morals. Evolution tells us we are just another species. In common with other species, we suffer. Causing unnecessary suffering or harm is wrong. Eating meat involves causing harm and suffering. Eating meat is not essential for survival, therefore it is unnecessary. Therefore, to eat meat is immoral.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service