This isn't really a discussion topic, but I don't know where else to put it; and we are, after all, one large community, are we not?  At last, the Congress of the United States of America has affirmed a human right:  "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" ("DADT") is at last being repealed.  (The Senate vote was Saturday.)  I cannot understand why this country is so slow to enshrine basic human rights in law and policy.  We still don't have truly universal health insurance, and we still haven't abolished capital punishment--and we still let employers dictate how people dress or wear their hair or facial hair without good reason, for that matter--but at last, we have progress.  Let us take a moment to be happy about this. 

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Following a successful cloture vote in the Senate on December 18, 2010, the bill was passed and, on December 22, signed into law by President Obama. The policy remains in place until the President, the Secretary of Defense, and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff certify that repeal will not harm military readiness, followed by a 60-day waiting period.

Do you have any idea how much stupid training and sensitivity education we as members of the armed forces are going to have to endure for this? Regardless of DADT getting repealed look at this.

Article 125 of the UCMJ.
Article 125—Sodomy
Text.

“(a) Any person subject to this chapter who engages in unnatural carnal copulation with another person of the same or opposite sex or with an animal is guilty of sodomy. Penetration, however slight, is sufficient
to complete the offense.

(b) Any person found guilty of sodomy shall by punished as a court-martial may direct.”

Elements.

(1) That the accused engaged in unnatural carnal copulation with a certain other person or with an animal. (Note: Add either or both of the following elements, if applicable)

(2) That the act was done with a child under the age of 16.

(3) That the act was done by force and without the consent of the other person.

Explanation.

It is unnatural carnal copulation for a person to take into that person’s mouth or anus the sexual organ of another person or of an animal; or to place that person’s sexual organ in the mouth or anus of another person or of an animal; or to have carnal copulation in any opening of the body, except the sexual parts, with another person; or to have carnal copulation with an animal.

I don't see that getting changed anytime soon. As active duty Army I can tell you that I don't care about the sexual orientation of the person next to me in the shower or on the line. As long as you do your job and I do mine. The military already has a huge sexual harassment campaign. They don't even need to add anything about same sex because its already in the briefing.
Just as long as they don't get special treatment because of their sexual orientation.
It's hard to believe the things some human beings will ban other human beings from doing.  I will repeat:  As a basic moral matter, we should be maximally free to pursue our own ends as we see fit, with only the minimal restriction that we do not materially harm other people in that pursuit or unduly interfere with their pursuit of their ends as they see fit.  Simply disliking another person's choice of end or of means to that end isn't sufficient to interfere with that person's freedom to pursue that end in his chosen way.

Oh, but if you're a fornicating Sodomite, god hates you ... but he loves you ... or something like that ...

Ummm, what was the question, again?

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just pointing out the current facts.
the best thing for me about don't ask, don't tell being passed is imagining all the fundies foaming at the mouth.  I can't wait til gay marriage is passed.   Since neither one directly affects me, other than knowing its the right thing to do, the only enjoyment I get out of it is that.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service