As An Atheist Can Your Life Have Purpose and Meaning?

I was wondering what other people thought about this.

I realize we weren't born with a purpose. No creator or "higher calling".

But as a non believer can your life have meaning and purpose without god?

Views: 10079

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's a KEEPER, Tony!  Thanks for posting it!

Oh very nice Tony, I like that quote!

Yes, and that Jefferson quote ties into my other discussion on ethics and morality and Atheism.

Fundies rather easily dispose of TJ's "...whence arises the morality of the Atheist?" by denying that atheists have morality or virtue.

Be prepared to try to persuade fundies that morality, virtue, and such are human creations that arose in social living.

Occasionally , like Dostoevsky, fundies claim that without god all is allowed. In reply, I point out that the sheriff hasn't resigned and he still has the jailhouse keys.

I think we have a greater opportunity in this area than religious folks. For the religious, a cookie cutter type of meaning is thrust upon them. It is meaning that stifles and limits thought and expression.

As an existentialist, I believe one of the fundamental human tasks is to create meaning. We don't have to accept whatever mythology dominates our geographic area. We can invent our own mythology (as long as we don't forget that it is mythology) that resonates within us. This one and only opportunity to be alive as a human being is the canvas upon which we can paint ANYTHING! We have true freedom and it is beautiful.

We have the opportunity to create living meaning that grows with us and changes as we learn. Meaning that is enhanced by critical evaluation, science, and rational thought. Meaning that requires no rationalizations (God's will is beyond human ability to understand) and no "thought stopping" ("A doubt is the Devil trying to influence me, so I must say a prayer to take my mind in a different direction") in order to be sustained.

I agree with you Edward. As we learn we create our own meaning.

"Meaning that is enhanced by critical evaluation, science, and rational thought."

Yes we are truely free to think for ourselves. To think outside the box.

"For the religious, a cookie cutter type of meaning is thrust upon them. It is meaning that stifles and limits thought and expression."

Yes, wonderful statement here. Thanks!

Thanks for posting the topic. Good dicussions!

Jonathan I would just say that it is up to you to decide on the topic of purpose.

You know, after reading all these great and interesting responses, I think this:

Live your life the best way you can, getting and giving all the happiness out of it that is possible.  That's it.~ Melinda

I agree Melinda. Live life the best you can.

That's why I asked this tough question to get people thinking. To get an exchange of thoughts and ideas.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service