As An Atheist Can Your Life Have Purpose and Meaning?

I was wondering what other people thought about this.

I realize we weren't born with a purpose. No creator or "higher calling".

But as a non believer can your life have meaning and purpose without god?

Views: 9964

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How wonderful Tony! I also enjoy helping other people. It does bring me happiness to help others.

Wonderful response!

Tony, that's a great response.  I think it's good to connect to people and to nature.  To be a conduit for comfort and joy, that is noble and kind.

Purpose is most certainly not biological, it is religious. Our god given purpose is to procreate and have dominion over the earth. Before such religious stupidity was invented, Homo sapiens did not nurture such delusions. I hope that humanity can give up entirely on purpose and just enjoy life instead. Of course that would mean putting an end to all economic objectives, whether left or right.

TNT, my purpose is to enjoy life. As surely as you jest, I enjoy your jest.

The only difference between having a purpose and not having a purpose is whether you've arrived to a conclusion through deliberation of your actions. A purpose is to be sought, then discarded, but not avoided; a problem should be tried even if it shall end in necessary failure, but giving up without trying is tantamount to ignorance. And if ignorance is accepted, then why bother deliberating at all?

This response just about covers it.  I feel privileged to have stumbled upon it put so well.  Printing it out for future reference.

Yes! Even when I believed in gods, I believed that people were responsible for finding their own purpose or meaning. Purpose bestowed on you by another person or authority is just you becoming a servant.

That said, I don't think life needs to have a purpose or meaning to be happy. I figure as long as you're happy, healthy and generally not being a dick to people, it's all a matter of style. If your life is better and more productive with meaning, that's fine. If you think questions like, "What is the meaning of life?" are silly and meaningless so lets go to the water slides, that's fine, too. I fall a bit more into this latter category.

You know Sarah, that's about how my Mom looks at life now and I agree!  She has raised her kids.  Her grandkids are half-grown, she's single, doesn't even have a cat!  She doesn't volunteer, she's retired,etc.  She is always there for us, but she says so what if she just reads all day, or takes a nap, or goes for a swim?  She's not hurting anyone and she's happy!  So good for her and for you!  I'm glad you are living a happy life!  That can be enough!~ Melinda

My feelings are mostly like Sarah's.

oh hey Sarah! Really cool perspective. I like it! That's why I like to ask you all what you think on things. You are all so smart.

The answer is YES. Well, that is what most atheists I know will say (including myself). You build and make your own purpose, you can do it by doing the things that give your life meaning, and what is important to you and the people you love. Remember, we only have one shot at this, so we better be prepared to "face reality in reality's terms". I will dare to say this is something that many theists do as well, although maybe the rationalization is different.

It is a good thing not to be hindered by superstition when you try to live a purposeful life, don't you think?

Yes I agree that without superstition you can truely be free to make your own decisions and purpose.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service