As An Atheist Can Your Life Have Purpose and Meaning?

I was wondering what other people thought about this.

I realize we weren't born with a purpose. No creator or "higher calling".

But as a non believer can your life have meaning and purpose without god?

Views: 10398

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very cool Tony - thanks!

You're very cool too, Steph.  Just went over the 2,000 reads plateau.  That's very cool indeed.  Congrats.

I will go so far as to say she is the best, Richard. Hands down. Absoloutely! Congrats on the 2000, Steph.

Thank you very much Richard and Tony! Wow - I am so honored.

I like that thought Tony.

darkblack....Tripe and bullshit..tell that one to the oppressed the little people .....mostly WOMEN 

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.
Dalai Lama
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/purpose.html#eFludyl2G5s...

AMERICA..AMERICA.....YOU ARE BEING SERIOUS steph

The only way in which being an atheist limits having purpose and meaning in your life is that you reject the "one-size" fits all purposes of religious believers. Nature is full of variety and human lives can have many different purposes.

That's true Dr. Clark. Human lives have many purposes. We just need to find out what they are ourselves.

Life has no meaning..the human race is crazy..mostly psychopathic 

Yeah, Alan, I too sometimes say humans are mostly psychopathic and then feel better.

About meaning:

I once told a Catholic priest, who was a fellow juror on a case, I had once been a Catholic.

True to his calling, he tried to bully me and said my life is absurd.

Having just seen "absurd" defined as without meaning, I told him it's my responsibility to put meaning in my life.

Did he ever clam up!!!

For days I was telling myself, "Don't tell me revenge isn't sweet."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Future replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
34 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
1 hour ago
Michael Penn commented on nikki summers's blog post atheist billboard
1 hour ago
Michael Penn replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
1 hour ago
John Jubinsky posted photos
1 hour ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
5 hours ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
5 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
6 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
6 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
6 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service