As An Atheist Can Your Life Have Purpose and Meaning?

I was wondering what other people thought about this.

I realize we weren't born with a purpose. No creator or "higher calling".

But as a non believer can your life have meaning and purpose without god?

Views: 8075

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I enjoyed reading about history of anesthesia Richard. I will certainly check out your blog to read more. And I love the artwork you posted here too. You don't know how much I appreciate your contributions to my discussion.
Thanks!

Thanks, Steph.  I appreciate your insights also.  I'm glad somebody got into this picture.  It says a lot.  Surreal is the only word for it, but the Auto da Fe was a historical, documented fact. 

The two condemnees at the lower right are so pathetic.  One of them has his hands joined in prayer, as if to say, "Oh, Lordee, I didn't mean to say the Trinity was bs, please gimmee another chance.  I'll keep my mouth shut." 

Also, it's hard to believe that the sado-masochist monster sitting in judgment on the thrown is none other than the revered Saint Dominic, founder of the Dominican order and namesake of the island nation, Santo Domingo.

Yes Dr. Allan H. Clark they had weird acts of penance in the church. I read about them whipping themselves with a belt of spikes. And of course I've heard about the chasity belts the women would wear. Didn't they have a lock on those - I'll have to find a picture of that.
Sisyphus was eternal.

But his life was rocky and much of it an uphill battle.

never a truer word spoken   life is one long slog

Yes, but not Hades.  Hades wasn't a place of eternal tortune, but merely a place to rest after crossing the river Styx and paying the ferryman, Charon.  It took some pretty sexually repressed bishops to come up with the concept of eternal pain and suffering. 

http://ecclesia.org/truth/hell.html

The hell referred to in the Bible is Hades/Sheol. Tartarus was even mentioned once in the Old Testament.

Ok, I stand corrected.  St Mark even mentions the devil being "cast into everlasting fire".  So let me modify my statement by saying the clerics never tried to scare the crap out of believers until 325 and they knew they had national hegemony.  They started burning pagan libraries, discouraged learning, and immolated heretics.  The eternal-fire meme came into its own.  There're still many people today who believe if they miss church on Sunday or blaspheme, eternal torture awaits them.

Psychologically, it keeps believers on a pretty tight leash. 

CATHOLIC church the church of fascists nothing to do with CHRISTIANITY   

JEWISH RUBBISH

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service