Atheist Nexus Logo

As An Atheist Can Your Life Have Purpose and Meaning?

I was wondering what other people thought about this.

I realize we weren't born with a purpose. No creator or "higher calling".

But as a non believer can your life have meaning and purpose without god?

Views: 10702

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What does "pot calling the kettle black, the" mean?

Accusing someone of faults that one has oneself, as in Tom's criticizing Dexter for dubious line calls is a case of the pot calling the kettle black, since Tom's about the worst line judge I've ever seen. This expression dates from the days of open-hearth cooking, which blackens practically all the utensils used. [Early 1600s]

http://idioms.yourdictionary.com/pot-calling-the-kettle-black-the

"Also, sex, drugs, and rock & roll. That too"

Fidd, can you guess who coined that term back in hippie days?

Clue:  She also had another great line:  The best way for a girl to shows she likes a guy is to take him home and fuck him.

Who coined that term Richard?

Gotta be Janis!

A guy from Tennessee in radio in the 60s told me of covering Janis when she performed there. Janis got jailed for vulgarity and upon release, she addressed the crowd gathered at the courthouse: "I wanna tell all of you mother fuckers one thing... Move to California!"

Janis Joplin sounds like a real character. Her life was too short.

With ya on that one!

Awaiting christian mercy as the flames get higher and begin to burn the soles of her feet and foreshadow the agony to come engulfing her terror in an ineffable demise-meaning is without meaning.

Purpose and meaning is a purely biological construct. My translation worthwhile.

Only logical position in life is existential.

Glen, you're right. I found existentialism to be a welcome antidote to the pandemic of words I'd heard in college philosophy classes and read in the assigned books.

Thank you for the reply Glen.

Right on! Existentialism makes life your artistic canvas. Very liberating and empowering philosophy... Even though free will doesn't exist objectively, subjectively it always feels very real.

Existentialism was in the 1950s so disliked by philosophy professors that I took to saying that while they debate free will and determinism, what matters is Who goes to jail.

LMAO!!! That's great! Reminds me a little of the saying, "Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?"

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Nexus on Social Media:

Latest Activity

Joseph P replied to Idaho Spud's discussion Evolution is a FACT, not a theory. in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
5 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Joan Denoo's photo
9 minutes ago
Loren Miller liked Joan Denoo's photo
9 minutes ago
Paul Tourville posted a video

NewsUndies NU1517

All the news that shouldn’t be news for April 24, including: * Why? * Go Ahead, Expose Your Bigotry * DAMN! Three Times! * What IS Desecration? * Not Much El...
11 minutes ago
Joan Denoo posted photos
12 minutes ago
Warren Jappe posted a photo
12 minutes ago
Profile IconShaneikiah Bickham, Christine Alcantara, Ki Smith and 1 more joined Atheist Nexus
13 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Imaginary Cat Owner's discussion Will Muslims ever apologize or even admit the the Armenian genocide? on the 100th year anniversary
19 minutes ago

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service