As An Atheist Can Your Life Have Purpose and Meaning?

I was wondering what other people thought about this.

I realize we weren't born with a purpose. No creator or "higher calling".

But as a non believer can your life have meaning and purpose without god?

Views: 9894

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah! That's sweet!

Joan, I spent years trying to help with one cause after another...mostly reproductive rights and keeping Public TV from going commercial, and I have reached the burn-out stage.  I need health services and other things that I can no longer afford, and laughing, or being silly, from time to time is the only thing that's keeping me from "pulling the plug."

That's why I still have cats...they are such serious-minded critters that they don't realize how funny they really are.

sk8eycat, I understand, completely. After 1968 and the years that followed, I was involved in raising kids and creating a new home for us. I had no time or energy to do all that one does when politically active. I took a year off to battle this cruel cancer and I am roaring and ready to take on the dragons again. 

I don't mean to get you active again. It is time for you to laugh and be silly and enjoy your cats. That is your drum beat. 

I don't have a funny bone in my whole body. Wish I did. I like taking on a conflict and doing the chores necessary to work on it. That is my drum beat. 

Thank you for your story sk8eycat. I am glad to hear that you helped with reproductive rights. A very good cause.

I'm still signing petitions on feminist web sites to try to stop people like Rick Perry (sorry, Steph!) from dictating what women can and cannot do with their own bodies.

It is my personal belief that every child should be wanted before it is even conceived.

And I worry about runaway procreation...7,000,000,000 people; good effing grief!  How long will it be before it's 8 billion?  Or 10 billion?  I hope I'm dead by then.

Right now we are turning good farmland into Walmarts and their parking lots.  Once that is done, the land will be useless for growing anything edible for eons.  >: (

Oh I would love you to stop Rick Perry - I need help doing that. I appreciate it. Thank you so much!!

I'm just sorry that you're stuck with him as a governor.  Why is he so obsessed with what women do or don't do with their reproductive organs?  People who are against contraceptives and abortion aren't really concerned with saving babies, or potential babies, they need to control women.....  Not much different from rapists when you get right down to it.

O, mah nerrrrrvess!  They make me SO angry!  *growwwwwlllll!* *hissss*

Hubert Humphrey, truly dedicated to reforms, was correctly known as "The Happy Warrior."  I would hope that those who help others find greater happiness than do the exploiters.

Bears repeating:

"The secret of life" is that there IS no secret!

sk8eycat 

I like that Joan. Good quote from sk8eycat.

I like your comments Felaine, especially "The secret of life" is that there IS no secret!

I forgot to add that I need to be around people who make me laugh, too.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service