As An Atheist Can Your Life Have Purpose and Meaning?

I was wondering what other people thought about this.

I realize we weren't born with a purpose. No creator or "higher calling".

But as a non believer can your life have meaning and purpose without god?

Views: 10112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No middle, gray?

Nothing has some order and some disorder?

Sure... if you're trying to win a political election!!!

But in the world of academics are not learned via "niceties". You spend a large part of your life in a university and study HARD, and work HARD. There are people who never learned unless they're boinked on the head, some are incapable of learning because they did not have a proper childhood cognitive development phase through parental incompetence, those are hopeless.

If the universe is not eternal it may have started like this blog in an uncaused cause.

Mammals have trended smaller.

Steph should have reproduced to pass on her extra serving of nice genes.

Well thank you Glen! : )
How sweet of you to say Damien - thanks very much! Smiles : )

All I see is the Latin alphabet, but I see no English being written... Is this a divine intervention, or an alien conspiracy, to remove the concepts of 'grammar' and 'context' from existence?

God is created in the image of man, therefore all the praise and shit bestowed by god onto humanity is actually bestowed by humans. Consequently, atheists have invented nothing in this regard. Notwithstanding, Humanists do religiously applaud humanity... but that's the Christian roots showing through.

Thank you Damien for those definitions.

I've been reading over the responses here and thinking.

I appreciate everyone's input.

@Johnathan, yes, in the same exact context that until there is evidence of the supernatural and gods, there are none. Evidence is king, queen and ace.

So you reject that animals have a purpose because there is no evidence of such a purpose, yet you assume that humans, as an exception, have a purpose despite also the lack of such evidence? (Or are you saying that neither have purpose?)

I do not believe in the concept of Purpose (capital P) at all, not for humans either, unless it's the illusion of purpose perpetrated by the powerful, imposed to achieve an end. You are mistaking me with someone else. Those persons who act upon indoctrinated Purpose by religious valued parents/mentors are harmful to the world. I perceive that the illusion of purpose is the nemesis of a reasonable humanity. That we humans have invented chairs with the purpose of sitting, yes indeed, no argument there. I make no exceptions for humans, on principal.

Alright then, I had mistaken your position. I will say though that using scientific facts to make an ontological position is a philosophical minefield. If something is not true because there is a lack of evidence, then does reality change when someone discovers the evidence?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service