As An Atheist Can Your Life Have Purpose and Meaning?

I was wondering what other people thought about this.

I realize we weren't born with a purpose. No creator or "higher calling".

But as a non believer can your life have meaning and purpose without god?

Views: 9324

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with your assessment Dr. Clark and thank you very much!

Disagree. Purpose is freely chosen regardless of theism or atheism. Purpose is an imposed duty by definition, even if it is a purpose you assign yourself.

That seems to belie your positive assertion in a previous discussion on Naturalism:

Therefore, humans have no choice about what actions they perform.

That was a different (grander) context -- the bigger metaphysical picture. The choice I speak of here is an illusion; nevertheless, it is an illusion that is commonly understood. Today, the subject is more one of ethics: why should we (feel like we) do what we do? Is there a purpose? The only contradiction is one that is central to all the major questions of human existence.

Therefore every single day we can change our purpose, because we are "free"... so why even bother using the word at all?

Forgive me, but I don't see how Damien's post relates to answering the question at hand -Can an atheist find purpose and meaning to their lives?  I churned through that ginormous copy & paste, and followed my nose on a few of the terms to only find minutia. 

Was that a yes or a no?

I will say that the conversation is begging around a fundamental flaw of any so called "atheist group".  To be part of an group that enjoys a negative.  It's like saying "I'm off to my no-golfing club" -where we enjoy NOT playing golf, and we sit and conspire about how stupid playing golf is".  The correct answer should be: I do not play golf (atheist), and I've found a better group (Brights, Humanist, ...) where we do things and make a difference.
This can be painfully obvious on this very site as we go back-and-fourth spitting about the theists

I too am guilty of this

The idea of a club devoted to not playing golf sounds intriguing—as long as the initiation fee is not too high and you still have a bar. Rich men play golf and tennis, poor men play basketball. The difference lies in the size of their balls.

hahaha ha ha ha
laugh out loud

IMO a celestial god faither is but a grain of salt in all the superstitious minds on the planet. They are indissociable. To be "free" would be to be free of ALL unfounded thoughts.

Animals don't have "purpose", all the behaviours you state are simply results of selective pressures of various forms.

TNT, have any animals told you they have no purpose?

Nope, and until there's EVIDENCE that they do, I'll stand behind my words. On topics of scientific knowledge, evidence speaks louder than opinion. Now if it were a socio-political issue, then hell yes, opinions are good arguments.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service