As An Atheist Can Your Life Have Purpose and Meaning?

I was wondering what other people thought about this.

I realize we weren't born with a purpose. No creator or "higher calling".

But as a non believer can your life have meaning and purpose without god?

Views: 8156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Jennings and I must agree with you.

Your purpose and meaning is all up to you - it's what you make of your life.

Thanks so much for your reply.

A man`s ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. Albert Einstein

Steph, please tell me that women also have ethical behavior they should base effectually on s., e., and s.t.

Yeah, women can be cruel to each other, but surely....

Don't blame Einstein for ignoring women; he grew up in another time. There's no law that makes illegal your adding a couple of words to his, especially if you enclose them in square brackets.

Hey Tom - I just got this quote from a website -- here as is

http://dailyatheistquote.com/list.aspx

I think man means mankind here and includes women - anyway that is my take on the quote.

Oh but I get your meaning - to add the word humankind instead of the word man

or say men and women.

Steph, another reason for my nitpick:a bit of cognitive dissonance results (or should result) when the word "man" is used in context with sympathy, education, or social ties.

Despite the changes wrought by feminists during the last forty-plus years, boys are still not rewarded when they seek to develop these qualities. They are punished.

A recent book titled "Why Boys Don't Talk and Why It Matters" by Susan Shaffer and Linda Gordon is a recent contribution to a L - O - N - G account of what still happens.

Einstein was a product of another time; to unthinkingly use the language of his time does an injustice to the people of our time.

Thought I'd do some consciousness raising.

A few years ago I read a work by a feminist academic that opened by referring to another author's "seminal idea." Ingrained habits don't go quietly into the night.

Be kind to y'self.

Mr. Morality scowled at the blasphemy.  “The purpose of human life is to worship God and wait for His return.  It’s as simple as that.”  He pointed contemptuously at where he wanted her.  “Throw her in!  I say.  Throw her in!.”  (From Mirror Reversal)

Consider the opposite worldview of those advanced on this tread.  The above is the teleology of most Christians and Mohammadans.  The Jews also wait for a messiah. 

No wonder the world is so messed up.  Such a philosophy discourages and dispirits the fun of life.  It makes pleasure something to be avoided and feared because the Day of Judgment will surely be a day of reckoning.  

Ever notice that most of the fun and pleasure of life is sinful?  I believe the world would be a much happier and peaceful place if Bibles and Korans were thrown unceremoniously in the garbage dump. 

I agree Richard! Life would be so much more fun and liveable if we were to toss all bibles and religious texts into the garbage. A religious text burning.

The idea that Christians have of our life not being meaningful and purposeful is not only false, it's downright shallow, rude and ignorant. How dare you tell another their life is meaningless because they don't conform to your lifestyle. Utter rubbish and it peeves me.

To answer the question though, ABSOLUTELY. As long as you have a passion, a person you love, a goal, an aim and many other things to strive for, your life is extremely meaningful. Someone can live for the happiness of their pet dog and have a meaningful life. It is not within your right to dictate to someone what is meaningful and what isn't.

Personally my life is meaningful because of my passion for music, the arts and science. I read passionately. I love people. I love animals. I WANT to make an imprint on the world. I want to travel, experiences different cultures and learn from them. History, nature...take a look around you how amazing is our world huh? There are so many things to experience. If you ask me...THEY are the ones living a meaningless life because they are bound by "divine" rules and commandments that prohibit them from enjoying life in it's entirety.

Just my 2 pennies.

Antonio I really appreciate your reply and I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I also want to make the world a better place for living in it.

I want to make a difference.

Antonio, I agree with Steph.  Excellent post. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service