As An Atheist Can Your Life Have Purpose and Meaning?

I was wondering what other people thought about this.

I realize we weren't born with a purpose. No creator or "higher calling".

But as a non believer can your life have meaning and purpose without god?

Views: 9849

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Richard for sharing your story about the Moonies and the love bombing. Very interesting.

Interesting story. Thanks! Next time try a Polyamory conference. You'll have better luck.

I'm envious. Have no idea who.  Great story (so far).  What's the purpose of love bombing?

The seduction of new followers.  All lovey, not just sexy.

Good post, Alan!

@ Teach

@ Goscicki

Thanx for replies to my post. If I may add, for me the Fundamentalist saturation was tantamount to child abuse. Screwed up my life royally up to about age 30, when I experienced the first serious yearnings/cravings for self-discovery. Christianity, esp. of the Fundamentalist stripe, does a remarkable job; it operates, much like a very sharp meat cleaver brought down with tremendous force, to separate one from the self. The authentic self, that is, that was so deadened and buried by all the relentlessly imposed nonsense(s). I had a lot of making up to do, a lot of ground to cover. My personal evolution away from the bottom of the well has taken up too many years, too much of my life. I can only wonder at the difference(s) wrought (potentially) by a life that might have been lived differently. As one parented, for example, by people who were respectful of the core humanness of an individual in his/her formative years, and later. (One of my father's comments, besides the commonly quoted "Spare the rod, spoil the child," was, "If you're happy, when there are people in the world who are not, then you're being selfish.") And of course to be selfish was a "sin" not to be taken lightly. A real shame-prompter, that one. But one among many too numerous to tally.

Chuck, I'd say one consolation would be to realize that you're not the only person this mindless oppression has happened to.  It was just part of the way things were.  We secularists and freethinkers are making great progress to change things. 

So as they say in the army, "don't dwell on it," and seek to have fun and enjoy the remaining time you have.

You are right Richard - it's best not to dwell on the past and the indoctrination you went through. Chuck, I was also raised fundamentalist as well. It took a long time for me to deprogram. But I finally made it to where I am today. I am always trying to improve.

Thanks for posting Chuck. This is a favorite topic of mine!

Chuck I also had the Fundamentalist indoctrination when I was growing up. Took me a long time to get to where I am today.

Steph, and all the others on this post. I commented earlier on, and have been reading with great interest as it has progressed. Some very wonderful, insightful thoughts have been broached. Very good for the 'soul', as it were.

I just wanted to say to you all that the things we as individuals rail and rant against are also the things that have helped shape us into what we are right now, this minute. Both the good and the bad. That without the problems that religion (mostly) have done to us, we would not be WHOM we are at this particular moment.

Now, I'm not saying to like it. Hell, we need to take it out, accuse it, ridicule it, scorn and demonize it for what it is. Hang it on the line to dry out and wither in the bright light of reason and sanity. To crumble to dust under the gaze of our resolve and knowledge in our freedom of choice of sanity over myth.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that what you are today is the sum of everthing you have gone through. But you are greater, much greater than the sum of your parts. Don't dwell overlong on any one part of your past. Try to keep your eyes firmly forward, head high, striding confidentely into the future, for that is where you truly reside.

Thanks for lettin me put in my two cents. Peace to all. Be well.

Well said!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service