As An Atheist Can Your Life Have Purpose and Meaning?

I was wondering what other people thought about this.

I realize we weren't born with a purpose. No creator or "higher calling".

But as a non believer can your life have meaning and purpose without god?

Views: 10070

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

BTW, we just relocated to NH after 19 years in Highland Park.  I worked at Kraft in Northfield.

LOL Alan, that was perfectly good coffee wasted on this damn screen!

So sorry.  But you gotta laugh at it.  Either that or pray.

...life is like a roll of toilet paper - the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes?

1. I'm 81 and it (life, not the paper) is slowing down, maybe because I walk more slowly.

2. The paper's speed depends on how many people are sharing the bathroom with me.

3. Why, when the paper is about to run out, does a new roll appear?

Thanks, Alan.

Thank YOU, Tom.  I expect to be contributing to A/N when I'm 81. I will presumably know more about life than I've learned in my first six decades (which is not much). 

Thanks also for spinning the toilet paper into an entire life philosophy.  A new roll appears because new lives begin, replacing the one that gets flushed.

The toilet paper roll bears a striking resemblance to the Torah scroll.  Nothing of value in either.

Thanks everyone for your insightful responses. I am really increasing my perspective.

Alan, some more spin...

4. Xianity promises a happy future life but Xians don't want to use the last of the tp. They get kind of messy.

LOL!!  Where does it say that in Scripture?

I like the toilet paper reference. Time flies as you get older. I agree.

Einstein said that when you're sitting on a hot stove, two minutes seems like two hours.  When you're talking to a pretty girl (I add: cute guy), two hours seems like two minutes.  That's relativity! 

According to Zen precepts, you can subjectively slow time down by paying attention and drinking in the richness of every moment (this doesn't count time spent in church/synagogue).  Takes practice, but it works.

Excellent Question Steph, this question was asked by the Greek philosophers life Sokrat every one has a purpose like an astronaut studies how the universe behaves or a doctor to heal people from diseases or parents to raise their children.But do not think we only have one purpose everything evolves.

Ibrahim is right.  Your purpose is a combination of luck, choice, and something else, perhaps talent/inclination.  It may change.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service