As An Atheist Can Your Life Have Purpose and Meaning?

I was wondering what other people thought about this.

I realize we weren't born with a purpose. No creator or "higher calling".

But as a non believer can your life have meaning and purpose without god?

Views: 10066

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Funny Cane!

As a theist can your life have purpose and meaning?

As a mental patient lost in a delusion can your life have purpose and meaning?

As an elephant can your life have purpose and meaning?

All of the aformentioned categories "feel" or can feel purpose and meaning. Is it less meaningful to live under false pretenses? I think so.

Ultimately purpose and meaning are meaningless. Life is but a poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage. But that does not mean it cant feel like it amounts to something. On the other hand ALL THAT EFFORT FOR WHAT?

Good questions Glen. Thanks.

All that effort for what?

Surely you remember the Pandora's Box story, and the last thing out of the box.

That story requires no update.

Yes we have a purpose, nature give us one: Born, grow, reproduce and die. Anything else is fair game. I personally will add: "Be happy" and "Don't treat others the way you wouldn't like them to treat you", but that's just me!

Cheers

I love those! Thank you Francisco! I like to treat others well.

Woa, your ancestors must have written the Bible, that's exactly what it says!

You are correct Write4U - theism is a dangerous illusion.

Yes, and as an Atheist we do acknowledge reality in all it's diversity.

"Life does have whatever meaning and purpose you give it and it can be just as meaningless and with no purpose at all" - very good statement George!
And yes my life is much more meaningful now that I'm Atheist!
Thank you George for your comment. I appreciate it!

Steph, Many minds better than mine have pondered this question.  Once you get over the notion that the universe cares about us, you are confronted with pure existence: we are here, we have these bodies with their limitations, we are social beings and do things, good or bad, to or with others...and by chance some of us get to produce more (innovations, ideas) than others. But nobody gets out alive.  There is no meaning or purpose to your life except what you give it.  People invented gods because they were flummoxed by the foregoing facts and had no good answer.  From there it was a short step to "no meaning without God."  But that's backwards!

I also think people are narcissistic, and cannot get over the fact that they aren't 'special.'

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service