Quiz on Yahoo via Christian Science Monitor = this is the quiz link

I lost the original Yahoo link but this one's close, on religion in the current Presidential election.  (all we focus on is president - it's like no one else is running)

I got 31 of the 32 although a couple were guesses.

From the report:

"Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest-scoring groups in a 32-question survey of religious knowledge by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. On average, Americans got 16 of the 32 questions correct. Atheists and agnostics got an average of 20.9 correct answers. Jews (20.5) and Mormons (20.3). Protestants got 16 correct answers on average, while Catholics got 14.7 questions right."

It's interesting that the poll title assumes the person taking the poll is not atheist.  But demographically, probably a good guess.

I missed the one on protestants/catholics and salvation.  I thought catholics were "saved" by faith too.

Strangely frequent questions on Mormonism, for such a demographically small religion.  Still, the influence is striking, especially on certain issues and with Mr. Romney potentially the next US President.

I'm not surprised Catholics did the worst.  I think their religious leaders want to keep them ignorant.  And similar for Protestants.

Views: 476

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm the dope of the group so far. Only 28/32.  I always thought I ignored this religious detail (crap) - but I knew more than I thought.

There, there, Russell.  We losers must hang together.  Still, we didn't do too badly compared to, say, religious people.  And in this country, it's hard not to hear Christianity a lot. 

Russell, you did great!

Russell, according to what SB posted here, the average high score for atheists is 20.9. You got 28, which puts 7.1 above your average atheist; which group is also the highest scoring. I'd say the entirety of the collection of us on here aren't too damn shabby!

There really is no reason to know details about religions because they are all ancient stories Bronze Age people told each other to try to make sense out of a very mysterious world. Some were ancient myths and fables, some were imagined, some were attempts to feel noble. In other words, "religious details are crap", except they impact our lives because so many people believe them and want to impose them on others. It is good to know the fallacies so one doesn't get deluded. 

Sadly, they're not all ancient myths. It would be wrong of us to neglect that there were four fairly prominent churches started here in the US in the 1800s! Perhaps you can call the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Adventists a natural outgrowth of preextant religions. But Mormonism and Scientology seem like pretty blatant power grabs to me!

If you want to get rich, found a religion.

Humble Pie, you are so right! Well, I guess stupid is not curable. 

25 out of 32. not bad I'm impressed with my recollection of fictitious knowledge :-)

Hey, you're still out-pointing the theists!

32/32. As I always say to my girlfriend, "That's what 12 years of parochial school will do for you!" Of course, I failed to learn too much that was actually useful in that time. I would happily trade that knowledge for say, having learned some chemistry or biology, being offered more than two measly years of Spanish, or being taught how to put on a condom.

Oh, but condoms help the spread of AIDS!  Ol' Joe the Schmoe Ratzinger said so himself!  Naughty, Naughty! [groan!]

Humble Pie, sounds like you were able to transcend boyhood training of traditions and values to  function in the 21st Century.  

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service