Quiz on Yahoo via Christian Science Monitor = this is the quiz link

I lost the original Yahoo link but this one's close, on religion in the current Presidential election.  (all we focus on is president - it's like no one else is running)

I got 31 of the 32 although a couple were guesses.

From the report:

"Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest-scoring groups in a 32-question survey of religious knowledge by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. On average, Americans got 16 of the 32 questions correct. Atheists and agnostics got an average of 20.9 correct answers. Jews (20.5) and Mormons (20.3). Protestants got 16 correct answers on average, while Catholics got 14.7 questions right."

It's interesting that the poll title assumes the person taking the poll is not atheist.  But demographically, probably a good guess.

I missed the one on protestants/catholics and salvation.  I thought catholics were "saved" by faith too.

Strangely frequent questions on Mormonism, for such a demographically small religion.  Still, the influence is striking, especially on certain issues and with Mr. Romney potentially the next US President.

I'm not surprised Catholics did the worst.  I think their religious leaders want to keep them ignorant.  And similar for Protestants.

Views: 476

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

32 of 32...but then again, I was raised as a christian and graduated from a private Baptist university.

Harrison, do you adhere to traditions and values of your childhood? 

Well, yes and no.  I attempt to treat folks as I would like to be treated, but obviously not from a religious perspective; I just think that humans should help other humans because we need that in our world.  As a professional opera singer who enjoys all kinds of music in addition to opera, I enjoy singing and listening to classical church music (Bach, Mozart, Handel, etc.) because it's GREAT music, not because it is christian, and so I do not exclude it from my life.  I have also enjoyed researching history, especially American history, to understand the effects of religion on our early settlers and communities.  Unfortunately, religious history is as American as apple pie and baseball.  Among my siblings and me, Christmas and Thanksgiving are celebrated as family gatherings with no religious overtones, and although I do put up a small Christmas tree (I call it a Yule tree) during the season it is for sentimental reasons and not religious ones.

That sounds like lovely traditions that build family unity. Have you something in print about your research on American history and religious early settler? I would very much like to read whatever you have written. 
I descend from Puritan stock of 1632 immigration and their struggles in Plymouth, England and Lydon, Holland, and settling in Plymouth, Mass. Our history includes Salem witch trials, conflicts with Quakers, an ancestor making a fortune in the slave trade. Not a very noble ancestry. They were survivors, however. 

Nothing in print, but my family history is filled with members of just about all religious sects that came here during colonial times, including Quakers, Anglicans, Swedish/Finnish Lutherans, Baptists, German Lutherans, and German Reformed.

Didn't expect to score very high, 30/32, got the tough ones, had a brain fart on two easy ones

...............Zeus, how could I miss that one?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service