Quiz on Yahoo via Christian Science Monitor = this is the quiz link

I lost the original Yahoo link but this one's close, on religion in the current Presidential election.  (all we focus on is president - it's like no one else is running)

I got 31 of the 32 although a couple were guesses.

From the report:

"Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest-scoring groups in a 32-question survey of religious knowledge by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. On average, Americans got 16 of the 32 questions correct. Atheists and agnostics got an average of 20.9 correct answers. Jews (20.5) and Mormons (20.3). Protestants got 16 correct answers on average, while Catholics got 14.7 questions right."

It's interesting that the poll title assumes the person taking the poll is not atheist.  But demographically, probably a good guess.

I missed the one on protestants/catholics and salvation.  I thought catholics were "saved" by faith too.

Strangely frequent questions on Mormonism, for such a demographically small religion.  Still, the influence is striking, especially on certain issues and with Mr. Romney potentially the next US President.

I'm not surprised Catholics did the worst.  I think their religious leaders want to keep them ignorant.  And similar for Protestants.

Views: 494

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I carelessly got only 29 of the 32; one I answered too quickly and one I misread.  Still, I think 90.625% is passing.  I sent the URL to my family, a majority of whom are Protestants.  It'll be interesting to see whether they even take the challenge, and whether they release their scores. 

I got 2 wrong.  I missed Job being the one most closely associated with suffering and still having faith in 'god' (or something to that affect, effect?), and I missed one country (bad memory) and which faith they were know for ( the answer was Muslim.) 

In my defense I was raised an Atheist. ;)

Gee, I never finished college.  Maybe I'm not as smart as an Atheist. ;)

You were born and raised as an atheist! That makes a big difference. Those of us who memorized books and verses and believed they spoke to 21st century problems had to erase bad theology and even worse psychology to find healthy answers. As to college, for some of us, college offered an opportunity to look at events and meanings from a different perspective. Some of the old we had to cast aside, other old beliefs comforted, i.e. ... jeez, I can't think of any. 

Yes, I was lucky I didn't have to un-lean things!  I do have a few years of college, I just didn't finish (a regret).  I never stop learning though!  I did 'try' catholicism when the kids were little because my husband's family is catholic.  I just couldn't take it seriously, for obvious reasons, and that was that! lol.

If you have an interest in something, there is no need for a college education. With the internet and libraries you can find everything you need on a subject. You may not be able to get professional licensing, and if that is what you want, go for it.
I love astronomy and zoology and a lot of things in between. I learn about them out of interest. So, if you have an interest, develop it.
My grandmother studied chemistry when she was in her 80s. Life's challenges prevented her from pursuing that until she decided she wanted to know more. She had graduated from nursing school and her class motto was "Slit, slash, blood, and gore, we're the class of 1904". Having to go to work, then raising a family, then taking care of grandkids kept her busy for years. She still had the interest and pursued it. 
Happy exploring!

Yes, that is just what I do Joan!  I don't really want a career anymore or to be licensed for anything.  I might get a part-time job.  I just love reading (constantly), and I still think it's awesome that now people can look-up anything they want in an instant with the internet!  It's great!

Wonderful story about your Grandmother!

Melinda, Joan, everybody. I wholeheartedly agree. All I ever got was an A.S. in Paramedicine, but I've been a learner all my life. I was the geeky kid that read the encyclopedia. Started at A and went to Z. With the internet and libraries that are available, I'm in heaven! Watch/read about what interests me, from physics to cosmology, to religions, to just about anything. Wonderful. 

It is the inquiring mind, not the degrees from institutions that reveals an educated person. 

I agree Joan.  It's people who don't keep seeking to learn in life that grow stagnant. 

Tony, 3 more classes and I would have my AA degree, but I no longer care about a degree @ this point.  I would have to take a math class and I hate math! lol.  The degree wouldn't do me much good either because I'm not going to go on to a higher one.  I just want a part-time job doing 'almost' anything, and I'll keep learning and learning about whatever interests me!

Melinda, follow your drummer. The rhythm will be perfect for you.

BTW, I went 32/32. :0)

That's great Tony!  Me too! 

Joan observed:  "You were born and raised as an atheist! That makes a big difference."

Joan;

we were all born atheists.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service