Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?

I am semi in the closet. I do have to admit that I am not comfortable discussing my views with just anyone. I am the type that wants everyone to like me (such a fault I have!) and I am nervous someone will think I am a bad person. Even when I find someone who is passionate about science, I still try not to venture down that avenue. So lucky to have you guys!

Views: 6189

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm right there with you. I work in Kansas. I said happy winter solstice to someone and got the stink eye. I'm mostly in the closet as most of my family are fundies. I'm glad I have this place where I can be myself. 

I'm about 50/50. I'm not worried or ashamed to tell people, but it's really no one's business. I'm not a sharing kind of girl for the most part.

100% out. Always have been. Born and bred atheist.

I am thankful that I don't associate in circles where religious views are an issue, but if asked I will proudly tell that I am an atheist. My close family are atheists too, or not too religious and in my view, as long as I am not preaching atheism to them, it isn't an issue and if it is, that is their problem, not mine.

I will not debate the bible or any other fantastical religious stories with people as I do not wish to waste my time on such a ridiculous subject, I simply choose to opt out of the conversation or change the subject.

I feel for those that cannot be proud and out atheists. You should not be judged for your stance.

I'm mostly out.  I waited until my Dad died, but told my Mother & siblings a year ago in a letter.  I told my church a few months before that in my resignation letter.  When I do talk about it with religious people, I don't call them names or get pushy about it, but other than that, I do say what I think if they bring the subject up.

I don't advertise it on my car because I can't afford to repair any damage from radical believers.  I don't tell people that handle my food, or my doctors & nurses.  Just doesn't seem worth the risk.  Well, I did let it slip with my Urologist and my main doctor's nurse because they mentioned it first.  An old friend & coworker saw me in the store the other day, gave me a hug and asked what I was doing for Xmas.  She wasn't asking a religious question, so I saw no reason to let her know.

I'm not a very social person, so I don't talk with many people about it.  I'd like to talk to my brothers and sisters more about it, but so far none of them have brought the subject up and I don't want to annoy them by bringing it up again until they do.  The exception is one sister that spouted all the religious BS she was indoctrinated with in an email.  I replied to each religious argument with logic and evidence, and so far, she hasn't mentioned it again.

This subject always interests me. I have never been anything but atheist and have never had a problem.

I have no problem stating my position.

I  was in  the  open  when i  lived  in LA,  but  now i'm  in  hiding  because  the  town  is  so  small  and  very  religious. II  know  they'd  fire  me  at  my  job.  everyone  knows  everyone  here.

Open about it and vocal about it. I don't go off on religious people as people, but I don't allow any religious statement or claim to pass without challenge.

my family dont know about my atheism as they hold quite strong islamic beliefs, but i think its more fuelled by their cultural beliefs. im south asian (Bangladeshi) and live in an area in London (UK) where most of the community is muslim. i live a lie because i know they would reject me, and my sister pretty much said i'd ruin the family and bring shame upon them all. my friends know, and despite being practicing muslims do accepts my beliefs. its never really been a problem with my friends cos im usually selective with the people i let in.

I am at that point in the arc of my life where I really don't give a ripe dump WHAT someone thinks, either of me or my atheism. I don't advertise, nor am I obnoxious about it, but if someone asks, they get the straight stuff.

There are at least two groups of JW's who have visited my house over the past two years who know this first-hand. I was cordial and courteous, but made no bones about letting them know who and what they were talking to.

I am an atheist.

I tend to be more open about my atheism to those I know are open-minded, not that I'm looking for reaction or to open a debate, but I think it's important to educate ourselves and take advantage of the vast information available and get involved in online communities or invoke thoughts with the like-minded and when we are asked the "why's" you have knowledge and confindence in your belief.

Not really out, no. My close friends know, and my sisters know, but that's about it. I haven't specifically said anything about it to my parents, but I think they already know that I think the bible stuff is ridiculous (my mom does, too, to some extent). My FB account specifically for family and acquaintances from school says I belong to the Church of the Invisible Pink Unicorn, but I don't think people look at my profile that often. Religion is not really an issue that gets discussed, and when it does, it's easy to say "I see" or simply ignore and move on.
I try to avoid religious conversations as much as I can unless it's with someone that I know I can discuss freely without someone getting upset. Besides that, I'm bad at speaking and getting points across, not to mention I basically don't know crap about the Bible and couldn't answer questions about it. I tend to run out of things to say when someone is making a bible argument and get stuck making a :0 face the entire time.

Hrmm. lets see
Greydon Square stick on car; check
wear shirts all the time with darwin day and others check
on here all the time check
joke about heaven and hell
and say what the hell all the time
yeah closets are for storage
peace!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service