Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?

I am semi in the closet. I do have to admit that I am not comfortable discussing my views with just anyone. I am the type that wants everyone to like me (such a fault I have!) and I am nervous someone will think I am a bad person. Even when I find someone who is passionate about science, I still try not to venture down that avenue. So lucky to have you guys!

Views: 6150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The next step for me was to learn mentally healthy, mature, adult behaviors. To do that, I attended Whitworth College (University) under Ed Lindaman for my master's degree in Applied Behavioral Science.

The secret is education! Families may not have the skills, religious guidance does not have the philosophy, education teaches for obedience and to be a good worker. At least in those days. School's purpose was to teach gender specific behaviors. In fact, the college where I taught had that as one of the mission statements.

Joan, I'm amazed at how far you've come.

Spud, there have been challenges. And you have had them as well. The good news is, we've come this far, still love life, and find joy and pleasure in each and every day. Sharing ideas with you is one of my daily pleasures.  

Those are exactly the reasons why I'm a gender atheist as much as a religious atheist. I am gender free. I am a female who refuses any imposition of social expectations called "gender". I do use the female toilets cuz they are the cleanest and don't stink so bad. I also fight for the access of females to Olympic activities, which means no penises can pass for female in sporting events. But our society is going down the opposite path. The "woman gender" of submission and obedience and dependence is highly valued by males, no matter what "gender" they profess to be... and it profession. Cosmetic surgery is no longer required for males to pass as females... denying our entire experience of sexual discrimination.
So in fact, gender roles, just like religion, deserve to be banned from society. When a Muslim female seeks cosmetic surgery and wants "vaginal rejuvenation, it should be no more paid for by healthcare than cosmetic surgery which inverts penis skin and pretends it's a vagina. Celestial theism may be on the downhill, but gender religion is on the rise. It may be our next biggest challenge.

Sadly i'm in a tomb not a closet.

Tomb or not, you have friends here.  Maybe we don't operate under the same restrictions you do, but we have eyes and we see.  We have ears, and we hear ... and we give a damn.  You have friends here, friends who will hear ... and LISTEN.  You have a forum here where you can curse and swear and tell Allah or Yahweh or any other non-existent deity (is there another kind?!?) that you have no time for them or their bullshit ... or for those who invented or perpetuated the myth of them and THEIR bullshit.  Talk if you want to, rant if you need to, but know that no one here is interested in judging in you and most if not all of us here are glad that you joined us and hope you find this a friendly and welcoming place to be.

Me?  I'm Loren ... a somewhat crazy guy from Cleveland, Ohio in the US.  If there's something I can do to help, lemme know.

Loren, as usual, brilliantly stated. I join in welcoming you Renegade.

Ditto! Welcome Renegade!

Thank you :)

Thank you Loren, You'r support is heartwarming, I'm Zain from Egypt :)

Pleased to meet you, Zain.  Hope all's well there and if not, at least talk about it, so we know what's going on.  We got a lot of different folks with different experiences.  In all of that, maybe there's someone who can help ... and if not, there's lots of someones who are at least willing to listen.

In any case, welcome.  We are very glad you found your way here.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service