Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?

I am semi in the closet. I do have to admit that I am not comfortable discussing my views with just anyone. I am the type that wants everyone to like me (such a fault I have!) and I am nervous someone will think I am a bad person. Even when I find someone who is passionate about science, I still try not to venture down that avenue. So lucky to have you guys!

Views: 6202

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting post.  Do non-religious have the same rights as believers for counseling and advice?  The answer is of course yes, but why would anybody feel the need for advice when mostly all issues are a matter of common sense.  

Consider the question:  It is justified to use drone missiles to blow up suspected Taliban terrorists in their primitive huts?  

Why would a professional army chaplain have any more insight into the ethical ramifications of the question than anybody else?  

Why would a professional army chaplain have any more insight into the ethical ramifications of the question than anybody else?  

The answer to this is suppose to be "chaplains have more time to think about ethical questions."  In reality, many people don't want to appear to make the judgement them selves. These people will consult a chaplain that is very likely to share their same opinion.  This way they don't feel accountable for how they feel and consequently act.

Personally, I don't think the military should have non-combatant chaplains of any kind.  They are just one more piece of dead weight.

Excellent point!

I'm open about it in the sense that if someone directly asks me what I believe, I tell them. Other than that I don't bring it up, because what I believe is nobody's business.

Then again, when it comes to the door-to-door bible knockers, I make it a point to let them know. :D

I am pretty much like you... kind of in and kind of out, depends on the person I am speaking with.

I've always been open about being an atheist. I'm the only atheist in my family, but none of my family members have ever been religious so it wasn't hard to be open about it. Still, being outnumbered I did sometimes remain quiet whenever sensitive topics would come up.

I don't try to conceal it when I'm around people outside of my family either. I don't mind much if Christians, new age people, or anyone else dislikes me for it. And if they ask me questions about it I answer them, and if they want to engage in a civil debate, I'm fine with it. 

To my family (Midwestern Americans), I'm closeted as a means of keeping the peace. My aged grandmother doesn't need any additional sources of stress in her life; my father (who I'd call a deist) has only had uncomplimentary things to say about atheism on the few occasions he's spoken on the topic, and I don't want to do anything to damage our otherwise-excellent relationship; etc. On the other hand, since my becoming a more outspoken antitheist we all discuss religion exactly as much as we ever did: roughly, not at all. My family is otherwise a quite rational and skeptical bunch, and my disbelief doesn't really change that dynamic.

To anyone else in my life, I'm very much out. It's not even a thing, but it probably helps that I live in the Netherlands now, where atheism is much more usual.

I'm also semi-closeted. My own Irish Catholic family knows I'm not exactly a church-goer, except for ceremonies, but mom used to use the word "atheist" as an insult.

My Born Again fundie in-laws know I'm not religious, as I married the one guy in their family that wasn't joining in with their insanity! The kids seem aware as well, but I don't bring it up unless they ask questions. I'm honest with them, and keep it simple: They asked if I believe in evolution, and I said most definitely.

Also explained that if you're religious, you believe creationism, and if not, evolution. They're being raised fundamentalist, so that is true in their case. I know plenty of religious people who believe in both, and I sometimes remind them that they can't ;-]

My co-workers also know, not all but the ones I talk to the most. I've decided that the best way to go about it, is to let people get to know me first, see that I live a decent, hardworking, charitable life, lull them into thinking I'm some sort of "good catholic" girl, then WHAM-O!! What, she's a godless heathen?! I didn't know they could look like good catholics! Wait, I thought that atheists were devil worshippers?? heehee.

Christina, I share your chuckle! My neighbors were astounded when they learned I was atheist and the news spread very quickly. I am the one who hosts a yearly neighborhood potluck, they know they can count on me when they need help, we all laugh and sing and dance and celebrate life together at our Summer Solstices, and then WHAM! They find out I am an atheist. The first visible reaction was their reaction with painting black words on my light sand colored house and spreading toilet paper all over my property, with disgusting indications I was a baby eater, destroyer of good and decent people, and a devil.

I gathered a group of fellow atheists and we cleaned up all the messes, had a gigantic feast with music and dancing and singing. The next year I invited all the neighbors for our usual Summer Solstice, and they came. Never ever another word or act of hate. My lesbian neighbors came for the first time and they were treated with utmost courtesy. My 50' x 150' patch of earth is dedicated to life and living and sharing and caring and compassion. 

Hate is not a part of my lifestyle, even as I feel disgust at hateful acts. 

My mother and brother know, and i think? that's it. My other siblings don't know (2 sisters, and older brother). I still haven't created a facebook personal profile, because sooner or later, it will hit the fan, and all my cousins will want to talk to me and set me straight. That's not how i want to use my energy. I've struggled with mentioning it on my blog and twitter, but it's a big part of who i am, and how i see the world. I'm letting it get out in incremements, but not to family. I just keep it shut. There are so many good causes and arguments, it's hard to not talk about it. If family finds me, i'll deal with it. I have this urge to engage my cousin in the country in a debate on camera, but he might end up shooting me:)

Damien, I certainly understand your desire to not have a confrontation with your family, however, in my experience, it is the family and their values that got me into trouble in the first place, and it is the family values that I reject in order to be healthy.

So, it comes down to, do you want to be "normal" or do you want to be healthy? 

I am quite open about it and don't have a problem with it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service