Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?

I am semi in the closet. I do have to admit that I am not comfortable discussing my views with just anyone. I am the type that wants everyone to like me (such a fault I have!) and I am nervous someone will think I am a bad person. Even when I find someone who is passionate about science, I still try not to venture down that avenue. So lucky to have you guys!

Views: 6571

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Me too.  On Facebook I say I'm a Secular Humanist (not atheist).  Make 'em look it up; they'll get the drift!
I'm an open Atheist except for one relative of mine who is 90 years old, I don't really know what his views are, but I wouldn't discuss my disbelief with him. I try not to brag about it, but if anyone asks, sure, I'll let them know what I know to be true. I have a decent good grasp on Astrophysics, Biology and Physical Anthropology (Human Evolution) so when anyone wants to argue that "there's just so much we don't understand, blah blah blah, there must be a higher power, blah blah" I can reply with certainty that my claims represent reality.
The ask and tell policy.  Yes, that's my way as well.  I live in France and have a lot of company when it comes to non-theists here, so I never hide my non-belief.  I post atheist related articles or videos on my Facebook page (I especially like Sam Harris' material).  I haven't been asked if I'm an atheist, but I did answer in the negative the question:  Do you believe in god?

In places like South Africa especially in the black communities when you come out of the closet and say you are a full blown Atheist they start deserting you and telling each other that you are satanic and got possessed by forces of the dark.. Worse part, I only listen to heavymetal rock and have posters of Slayer and Black Sabbath on my bedroom wall.. And yeah, after going through that process of being named Luciferian, I decided its better if I keep my thoughts a secret..

Before I let my religious fam know my views I had the worst visions of what it would be like. I let it eat at me for 10 yrs. I finally hit rock bottom during my divorce and told everyone.  I went to church every sun before. When I told my preacher he asked me if I thought he was full of crap lol. I told him the only reason he is a Christian is because he was born in America where it is dominant. If he was born in china he would likely be Buddhist. But I told him I still loved him and I don't have any malice towards him. It was hard. BUT once it was over with it was a huge weight off my chest and I realized that it wasn't even close to the hardest thing I've been through. You'll find the strength.
Talk about a shock to the system! I think I am content being like this as long as I have you guys.  :)
I'm pretty much out of the closet with friends and family.  However, I googled my name and found my Atheist Nexus website page.  That freaked me out, so I changed to just using my first name.  When you fill out the Profile page, it asks for your Full Name, so I had just given it without a thought.  I guess I'm not so far out of the closet that I want just anyone looking me up to find out.
I googled my name after registering here and changed my name also.
Me too! 
You have to go to My Settings, and click on My Page, and change your name in the website address, also.  Then when someone clicks on your name from Google, they get Page Not Found.
I am not fully open about being an Atheist.  I try to avoid religious and political topics as much as possible.  I try to avoid conflict.
Are you ever in a situation where you can't hold back and you say something?  I can  think of two conversations earlier this year where as soon as the words rolled off my tongue I regretted it.  Oops :-)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

JuanChe shared George Gordner III's video on Facebook
2 minutes ago
Christine replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
4 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
10 minutes ago
John Jubinsky replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
14 minutes ago
The Flying Atheist commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
18 minutes ago
Sentient Biped commented on Sentient Biped's group Justice For All
18 minutes ago
Christine replied to Christine's discussion Reformed catholic church
18 minutes ago
Sentient Biped commented on Sentient Biped's group Justice For All
22 minutes ago
Rich replied to Steph S.'s discussion Without god what's to stop me from raping all I want? Penn Jillette answers
23 minutes ago
Christine replied to Luara's discussion ISIS apparently beheaded James Foley
29 minutes ago
Pat replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Howdy, y'all
36 minutes ago
Rich posted a status
"Well, I'm finally back again. I guess it's only been a month, but it feels like longer. I'm looking forward to getting back into the talk."
36 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service