Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?

I am semi in the closet. I do have to admit that I am not comfortable discussing my views with just anyone. I am the type that wants everyone to like me (such a fault I have!) and I am nervous someone will think I am a bad person. Even when I find someone who is passionate about science, I still try not to venture down that avenue. So lucky to have you guys!

Views: 6794

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Greg, Don't know where the sticker was bought. It was sent to me by a friend who lives in Santa Cruz,CA. It's been on my car so long it's almost invisble it's self. If you google Russell's teapot sticker, you can get one from CafePress. Its different from mine, but still gets the idea across.

J.C, unfortunately, you have Jesus's initials.  :(  LOL.  Damn, James, you sure are a strong atheist! Look at your license plate. Hooray for people like you!
Thanks Andrea, Yes I proudly display my atheist belief. As to the initials, I have on occasion had people of faith mention" Your initials are the same as jesus" I often reply "jesus who?" I too am in health care as a registered nurse. I have attened to many sick and or dying and heard many a prayer, so far no miracles in the 42 years. If nothing else it has taught me the finality of life, best to make it as fun and rewarding as possible now because there is nothing beyond this brief existance.

i don't hide it at all......  i agree with james cromb...... why bow to ppl who don't respect OUR ways of thinking ( yeah, we actually think) .  if xians want to wear a cross around their neck to show their faith, then we can wear our own symbols for our lack of belief.........  i don't understand why atheists are afraid of xians and what they think of us; maybe it is they who are afraid of US, and that's why they try so hard to (pretend) to believe in a non existent being.

there's no reason to lie, pretend or be afraid of xians...... what can they possibly do to you? if they're the xians they claim to be, they will love you no matter what religion you are...... or are not!

for those of you still in the closet, get out!! breathe the fresh air of freedom, be brave, courageous, have confidence in yourself and what you know is true.  knowledge,  truth, logic, reason, facts.     stop living a lie and get out!!!

agreed!!!!!!!
Pansy, thank you! I work in healthcare and have to be the person molded to that patient's personality. Some day I will come out on a daily basis, but for now, I have to be neutral.
i am reluctant to give that information out but will if pressed. many christians are extremely intolerant and even violent.
muslim persons seem confused if i say that their are no prophets, there is no god and i am an atheist.
it seems the word atheist is a word used as an insult.

they act like fauklner's character Ringo in the Unvanquished who says something like "he look just like a man!". apparently the information given was a bit biased and colored.
so i just don't tell them unless they persist in either religious discussion, attempt at conversion to their religion, or making ignorant statements regarding atheist.

on the other hand, many christians and muslims have been civil, helpful, decent and still are aware but confused by my dissident beliefs, such as not wanting to kill insects or various moral ideals but rejecting a theological foundation for having these beliefs.

some people react intolerantly, dismissively, and even violently when confused.
so, do not deny being an atheist, but do be aware that believers, particularly fundamentalists, can be dangerous.
why wont edit allow me to edit, instead it just jumps me back to the top of the page.
I'm also semi in the closet.  I try to respect other people's beliefs when the subject of religion comes up.  If they really press, I'll get into it with them, but that rarely happens.  Some of my family and friend know, but I don't broadcast it.  I don't discuss it with my kids, however my 16yr old daughter push me too far one day and began criticizing evolution and how she didn't believe in it.  I asked her why she couldn't believe in evolution but she could believe that someone walked on water.  After that incident, I'm probably more out than I think.
I hope your daughter now understands evolution. How about the Big Bang? I cannot wait to have my own science teachings to my two kids when they get older. I, too, try to respect other's beliefs until they push my buttons or ask what my opinion is.

"I sound my barbaric YAWP!! over the rooftops of the world" - Walt Whitman

But it wasn't always that way. When I announced to my parents in elementary school I didn't believe in god, they told me it was called atheism. They supported me (it broke my mothers heart at first though), but I learned early on that you paid a price by not following the herd. I kept my mouth shut about it. Then 9/11 happened, and I started getting a little more vocal about it (but even then, I only told some friends and co workers).  Finally, I heard Penn Jillette's radio show. He and Goudeau openly talked about being atheists on the air, and people would call in and say they were atheists also. I was 31 or 32 at the time. This was the first time I had ever heard other people call themselves an atheist (I didn't surf the web much back then). I stop short of introducing myself, "Joe Swam..atheist"...but it's close. With all that being said...I completely understand why some people don't "come out". 

Wish I had your balls, er, I mean, guts. :)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service