Have you ever been in a conversation with a believer or a group of believers and because of where the conversation is going, someone asks you if you are an atheist? What do you say? What do you think you should say? I haven't had it happen in a long time but I thought about it and here is what I came up with:

Are you an atheist? “I am not sure. Maybe you can help me. I don't believe in leprechauns, angels, elves, demons, talking snakes or invisible supernatural beings. Have I gone wrong somewhere or is that normal?”

I don't know if that seems stupid. What do you think and what would you say?

I am very curious as to what people would come up with on this.

Views: 154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stephen, imagine yourself having asked the question in one of these two ways

1. As a request for personal information.

2. As an attack.

How would you hear that reply?

As it comes to this whole topic, I'm sure some of you are familiar with the following quote:

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
-- Stephen F. Roberts

I'm reasonably certain that it hasn't occurred to most believers that they ARE atheists as it comes to Zeus, Apollo and Hera or Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.  Indeed, the vast majority of them haven't even thought about it.

It's time to make them think ... especially about WHY.

Thank you Loren. That must be the source of my sentiments on the atheisms.

I've been asked outright by two very nice people.  I just said yes, and then we continued to speak of other things.  If someone asked me in a hostile way, I'd let them have it with the " which one?" response, etc.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service