As a young theist I ran onto lots of people saying they were atheist. Mostly they annoyed me or made me angry. None of them could really back up what they believed.

Some would claim they could not believe in god because god would not allow people to suffer. Others might claim a real god would not allow their grandfather to die. I came to believe that many were using the “atheist excuse” simply to avoid religious subjects because this was unpleasant to them. Possibly something left over from childhood that they did not want to believe in.

We break it down as “a” and theos” from older languages. It means without god. If I have arrived at a point in my life to be atheist, I am a person with an absence of belief in deities. It simply means I do not believe in god for lack of evidence. Belief in god involves belief in the supernatural which means “something” beyond the natural. Belief in the paranormal means there is “something” beyond the normal. There is no evidence for belief in either of these last two ideas. If you have no empirical evidence then it does not exist. You are somewhere in the wind here to say otherwise.

So, you are an atheist and you believe in spirits. You have an atheist friend who believes in life after death. What have you been smoking? Other atheists believe in ancient aliens, sasquatch, vampires, séances, and advice from the beyond. Where is the evidence? There simply is no evidence other than ways of fooling people changing as years go by. If you believe in any of this bullshit then you might as well believe in god! There is no evidence on any of it.

Trust me here please. The dead do not bite or scratch you. They cannot move and after a time have nothing to hold their bodies together. They cannot speak to you because they have no voice box. How would they communicate with you? If they do so it’s only because you have become one of the gullible.
Back now to where I started. Are you a true atheist? Leave comments here.

Views: 430

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Funny I should run across this, I just finished this up yesterday:

I am an A-Theist

Being an atheist is only a sub-set of a larger system of thought. In reality it would be more descriptive to say that I am an A-super-naturalist. I am also an:

A-Abominable Snowman (Yeti)ist

A-Allahist

A-Alchemist

A-Alienist

A-Angelist

A-Astral Projectionist

A-Astrologist

A-Atonementist

A-Basiliskist

A-Bigfootist

A-Centaurist

A-Crystal Ballist

A-Crystal Powerist

A-Demonist

A-Divinationist

A-Dragonist

A-Dryadist

A-Easter Bunnyist

A-Elveist

A-Extrasensory Perception (ESP)ist

A-Fairiest

A-Fateist

A-Fortune Tellerist

A-Ghostist

A-Ghoulist

A-Gnomist

A-Golemist

A-Goblinist

A-Godist

A-Gremlinist

A-Homeopathyist

A-Hydraist

A-I-Ching coinsist

A-Iridologyist

A-Jehovahist

A-Krakenist

A-Leprechaunist

A-Levitationist

A-Loch-Ness Monsterist

A-Magicist (only in the paranormal sense, not

Illusion done by performers)

A-Magnetic Jewelryist

A-Mermaidist

A-Minotaurist

A-Miracleist

A-Monsterist

A-Nationalismist*

A-Numerologist

A-Nymphist

A-Palmistryist

A-Past Livesist

A-Pegasusist

A-Phoenixist

A-Phrenologist

A-Pixiest

A-Possessionist

A-Prayerist

A-Precognitionist

A-Pre-Destinationist

A-Prophesyist

A-Psychicist

A-Psycho kinesisist

A-Satyrist

A-Sphinxist

A-Tea Readingist

A-Tea Reincarnationist

A-Ritualist*

A-Santa Clausist

A-Satanist

A-Spellist

A-Soulist

A-Spiritis

tA-Superstitionist

A-Tarot cardist

A-Telekinesist

A-Telepathist

A-Teleportationist

A-Traditionist*

A-Trollist

A-UFOist

A-Unicornist

A-Vampireist

A-Voodooist

A-Warlockist

A-Werewolfist

A-Witchist

A-Yahwehist

A-Zombiest

*= Things that exist that I do not think should.

So, you see, being an A-Theist is only a tiny, partial bit of my whole system of non-belief. This includes all Greek, Egyptian, Roman, and all other pre- and post- Abrahamic concepts of god(s).

RIGHT ON, JOHN. THAT MAKES YOU A TRUE ATHEIST!  This is exactly what I was looking for in my blog post "Are You A True Atheist." Apparently too many thought they would be stepping on toes to reply. Simply put a true atheist does not believe in the supernatural or the paranormal. There is either no evidence or the situations experienced can be explained.

I very much like your post John, and I'm saving it.  I'm all those A's, to a more or less extent.

I love your list John!

It certainly doesn't appear that this ME character is a TRUE atheist Mike. I think he or she is defending theism is a surreptitious way.

I agree, Tony.

When I saw the title of your post, I cringed.  "Are you a true atheist?"  Are we at the point where, like our theistic antagonists, we are now having a litmus or purity test?  I arrived at my atheism through many years of critical thinking and reading. I didn't just wake up one day and decided to be one.  I also put a lot of trust in science to provide answers to existence.  But, I also try to keep an open mind.  Science, as yet, doesn't have all the answers to everything, and people go through stages.  Even Richard Dawkins keeps an open mind and doesn't write his atheism in stone.  If somebody wants to believe, or THINKS there may be an afterlife of some sort but doesn't believe in what we consider "God," it doesn't bother me.  So I disagree with your statement, "If you believe in any of this bullshit then you might as well believe in god!" 

That's well said, Karl, but what that last statement really means is that spirits aren't biting you, scratching you, or leaving marks on your body. The Yeti didn't crap in your yard last night. You don't believe in god, but the ghost of your dead sister is guiding you. A person can think whatever they want to, but if your thinking involves a belief in supernaturalism (which includes the paranormal) how do you know that you do not believe in god? This last sort of atheist is usually a person who has NOT studied anything. They believe in pixies and faries but cannot give you any valid information as to how they came to not believe in dieties.

The John Dodds post on here got it all correct. This is what I mean when I ask "are you a true atheist."

I don't believe in afterlife; we die forever like everything else once alive. But, could it be a possibility that images of people in the past get stuck in a time dimension and these images appear? 

If that was so, then we could invent a time machine of sorts and go visit the dinosaurs. Assuming we have more images stuck in the past than just people images. Do these images have energy or do they exist in the akashic records? If we can do this for the past, then what about images for the future? That area of existence that hasn't happened yet.

It works pretty good in a sci fi movie. Got any popcorn?

I think that the problem here is the word "believe" as well as other semantics.  In your reply to John Dodd's post, you wrote, "Simply put a true atheist does not believe in the supernatural or the paranormal."  I don't "believe" in them, but I'm open to the possibility that what we refer to as "supernatural" might one day be found to be quite natural.  As I mentioned before, Richard Dawkins also allows for this possibility.  Would you say he isn't a "true atheist?"

Dawkins is a true atheist. He even clings to the term agnostic because nobody can say for sure "there are no gods." There simply is no evidence for them.

As for the supernatural being found one day to be quite natural, you would have to assume that evidence was found somewhere in science to make this belief so. Being "supernatural" means beyond the natural. Many things go on in the world that involves trickery and getting your dollar. This is a fact of life. I seriously doubt that somewhere in the future some "wormhole" or other demension is going to open up and we find spirit voices claiming "thank god you have found us--we have been trying to get in touch with you for such a long time."

On the other hand, our search through the universe for other lifeforms out there is very valid. Whatever these other life forms might be, they are not going to be found with psychics or paranormal investigation. Many here fail to understand me. I'm saying that a true atheist believes in true science. If you have an alternate view of science then you are leaving yourself (and everyone else) open for belief in pixies and faries. Science may change as we evolve but the methods of separating you from your money stay pretty much the same.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service