In the latest issue of Skeptic magazine, one James Allan Cheyne makes the claim that not only is atheism of the rise but so is intelligence (pg. 33). Cheyne sez that according to social scientist J. R. Flynn intelligence rises 3 points every ten years in the 30 industrial societies studied. That's a whopp'n THIRTY I.Q. point increase in the 20th century. I guess that kids born today are flat out SMARTER than their g-grandparents who apparently could hardly muster the brain power to tie their shoe strings! I'd be more skeptical of this claim if it hadn't appeared in Skeptic magazine. Whatta you think?

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They need to understand that just because its on the internet doesn't mean its true. A new era should teach them to look at everything with a skeptic eye. I can see we tend to lean on our technology where we falter. Even this post will correct me if I misspell something.
IQ is overrated. I've been consistently outdone by peers with smaller IQ's than mine and 've done the same to those with IQ's higher than mine. Pointless.
I'm not sure what the IQ test measures but I am sure it doesn't measure how smart you are. I think it measures your ability to understand or something like that.
Shere out and out dogged determination will often carry the day even when the opposition is more intelligent. However, if you are highly intelligent and persevering too, then you'll be one tough sumbitch to beat!
Evidently you didn't read the full article. He clearly states that there are problems with Flynn's ideas. In the article he states.

"Flynn has, however, recently offered a hypothesis for the effect that eliminates this absurd deduction. I will argue that this new hypothesis is also capable of explaining the negative correlation between intelligence and belief, as well as at least part of the decline of religious belief and the growth of atheism over the same historical period."

You post is very sensationalistic and extremely misleading. You are misrepresenting what the author actually said. I have to wonder what your motives are. As a matter of fact your post is just a rewrite of the second paragraph of the article, except the other presents it to show that there is a problem with the premise. Shame on you.

Read the article.
Bruce wrote: "You post is very sensationalistic and extremely misleading. You are misrepresenting what the author actually said. I have to wonder what your motives are. As a matter of fact your post is just a rewrite of the second paragraph of the article, except the other presents it to show that there is a problem with the premise. Shame on you."

OK, I feel ashamed!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service