Religious people claim that their moral standrds are defined by religion and god. What or who defines atheist moral standards? Should atheists have some universally agreed and well defined moral standards? Willl having such moral standards make atheists a well defined community?

Views: 256

Replies to This Discussion

Madhukar, there are 8 different Humanist sites here on Atheist Nexus!  Check them out.  In addition check out HUMANE ATHEISTS.  That's my favorite!

I think that everywhere people instinctively know that morality is truly constituted by the golden rule. i.e., do unto others as you would have them do unto you and no god is necessary for this to be understood or implemented.

I have ethical and moral standards and I'm an Atheist.

Yes, I do have ethical standards and I also happen to be an Atheist. I should of stated that more clearly. That is what I meant to say.

I like people who are honest and principled and who care about others. So I strive to be like the sort of person I see to be good.

Richard Carrier

Do Atheists Have No Reason to be Moral? Are There No Atheistic Moral Standards?:

For most religious theists, their religion and god provide the basis for their entire understanding of morality and values. Because of this, some find it inconceivable that atheists who don't believe in any gods and who have no religion could possibly have a basis for morality or even understand what true moral behavior really is. Many go further and argue that this is a good reason to reject atheism, that it leads to immoral behavior, that it cannot account for the existence of morality, etc. None of these arguments hold up because they are based on false premises.

This is quote from Austine Cline. The questions at the top have always made me think of an atheist  standard of morals.

Well, there's a difference between saying that atheists have a moral standard, and asking if there are any atheistic moral standards. Utilitarianism is an atheistic moral standard. It's not reliant on any god or gods for its moral determinations. However, a Christian could easily be a Utilitarian, and just wrap their Utilitarianism in the rituals of the Christian religion.

I care about others too - it's who I am. I try to be kind and respectful to everyone.

If a poll was provided to the members of Atheist Nexus I'm sure that there would be a majority opinion about many ethical questions.  We could call AN a club, and write up a list of principles most of us share.  We could do the same as a political party, and have a "party line".  We could then publicly claim that atheists ARE moral.   But, your original question seemed to be asking whether or not atheist all share a set of ethics.  The fact is, like it or not. we don't.  Our only commonality, by definition, is that we don't believe in gods.  Again, I suggest you look into Humanist philosophy.  That is where you will find these mutually agreed upon principles.

The Ethical Atheist’s Ten Commandments.

Posted by John Bremner on February 12, 2010

Behold! I give ye Ten Commandments for Ethical Atheists!

Thou SHALT NOT believe all thou art told. Thou SHALT seek knowledge and truth constantly. Thou SHALT educate thy fellow man in the Laws of Science. Thou SHALT NOT forget the atrocities committed in the name of god. Thou SHALT leave valuable contributions for future generations. Thou SHALT live in peace with thy fellow man. Thou SHALT live this one life thou hast to its fullest. Thou SHALT follow a Personal Code of Ethics. Thou SHALT maintain a strict separation between Church and State. Thou SHALT support those who follow these commandments.

This is a great website!

http://www.ethicalatheism.com/?p=571

I have just found this posted by Steph S in her group ETHICAL CULTURE. It appears that somebody has already thought as I have done and taken more trouble than I have done, there is something for us to think of.

When a religious person tells me that atheists have no morals because they don't have faith, I simply ask them to prove it - they can't.

I do not put much thought into who has morals or not, at least not in the society we have today and I also consider it unimportant. Morals are simply guidelines set out to put human nature into another category. We are all capable of being immoral and moral and society is the judge but more importantly, you are the judge of yourself. If you can live with what you are, then so be it. Being immoral is not against the law you just may lose friends and be judged by others but at the end of the day does it really matter? I think if we are concerned about our moral behaviour so much, the we buy into the religious dogma.

Morality (from the Latin moralitas "manner, character, proper behavior") is the differentiation among intentions, decisions, and actions between those that are good (or right) and bad (or wrong). A moral code is a system of morality (for example, according to a particular philosophy, religion, culture, etc.) and a moral is any one practice or teaching within a moral code. The adjective moral is synonymous with "good" or "right." Immorality is the active opposition to morality (i.e. good or right), while amorality is variously defined as an unawareness of, indifference toward, or disbelief in any set of moral standards or principles.

So I may consider myself *'amoral' because as far as I am concerned I am a good person as long as I don't break the law or harm others - very simply put but I don't see how morals are important when those who are supposed to live by a certain guidelines within their faith, don't *( I choose the 'indifference toward' ).

What is the 'punishment' for being immoral? I am already going to burn in hell for being an atheist so I don't see why I have to defend my 'moralness' at all.

Sandi,

Your reply makes interesting reading. I want to ask, Do you treat morals and ethics as the same or are they diffefent, in your opinion?  

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service