Recently, while browsing through the groups, I came across a Pro-life group. It has only one member-it's founder, and that got me to thinking...Are there any pro-life atheists out there? And being that most, if not all arguments I've heard against abortions are usually religious in nature, what would be the atheists argument(s) against abortion?

Personally, I am pro-choice. I fully support every womans right to choose.

Tags: abortion, groups, pro-life

Views: 403

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Funding for abortion should be an incidental part of funding for comprehensive birth control programs. I think we need to stop talking as much about abortion and talk more about empowering women to take control of their bodies before they find themselves faced with an unwanted or unintended pregnancy. My personal belief is that abortion should not be viewed as just another form of birth control. And, it really is not a pragmatic approach to the problem of unwanted pregnancy.

I would much rather have the government fund tubal ligations for women who do not want any more kids, have the government fund education programs that teach women how to use birth control, and provide funds for birth control. Birth control when used properly is very, very, very effective. Access to and funding for effective birth control (including tubal ligation and vasectomy) seems to be the much more effective, comprehensive way to address population growth. The need for abortion will still arise, of course (e.g., cases of rape or incest) but our goal should be to prevent as many pregnancies as we can -- that will empower women.

Abortion is a micro issue and when you focus on that as the primary answer to unwanted pregnancy it becomes an ad hoc, ineffective strategy. Providing access to birth control and birth control education is a macro strategy that will have much more of an impact on the overall rate of population growth.

The reality is that the "pro-life" people are not really pro-life they are, fundamentally, anti-sex. And they are anti-birth control. But with their focus on abortion they seek to obscure their anti-sex/anti-birth control beliefs. We need to stop letting them do that by being sex-positive and emphasizing birth control over abortion as an approach to unintended pregnancy. The anti-sex/anti-birth control is very much a minority view. Many people would not come out to a pro-choice march but, if the right to birth control were ever threatened you'd see millions marching! Because there are many people like me who are pro-choice but have issues with abortion. But we are firmly pro-birth control. The "pro-life" crowd would never dare reveal their anti-sex/anti-birth control beliefs because they know that they would lose, big time.

I'm pro life. I don't really like killing, and i believe that abortion is destroying a beautiful thing for a horrible reason, even if it's not a full fledged human yet, it's still life. Although most of it comes from me being pretty vindictive. If two people had intercourse, they should have been ready to face the consequences, and abortion is just getting away Scott free, they didn't learn anything. Rape of course is the exception.

"Rape of course is the exception." ~ Daniel PD

This, of course, …contradicts all that came before it.

"Are there any pro-life atheists out there?" ~ Valles Marineris

I'm pro-life and pro-choice and a parent of a daughter, who has the right to self-determinism.

Please stop calling them pro-life, they aren't, they're pro-gender-oppression, or anti-choice.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Rick Springfield replied to Luara's discussion Global culture
19 minutes ago
Luara commented on Konopek Karl-Heinz's status
3 hours ago
Gia joined Dr. Terence Meaden's group
3 hours ago
Plinius replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Vegetable stir fry in the group Food!
5 hours ago
Dyslexic's DOG replied to Carrot Hare's discussion Atheists around the world! ASSEMBLE!
6 hours ago
k.h. ky commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
6 hours ago
roland707 posted a discussion
6 hours ago
TNT666 replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
7 hours ago
roland707 replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
7 hours ago
Konopek Karl-Heinz posted a status
"This to A Wise Atheist humiliates Frank Turek in a debate about god – YouTube"
7 hours ago
Konopek Karl-Heinz posted a status
"Hi long time no here !!! look at this if you like A Brief History of Disbelief Atheism Documentary Episode 2 - YouTube"
7 hours ago
booklover commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
7 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service