Are there any atheist in the military or ex military?

I just want to know if there are any atheist that are or were military and how was your experience being atheist?

Tags: Military

Views: 11

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah your experience does not seem as bad! Now they have the prayer breakfast and "spiritual fitness" etc! When I filed a complaint against that chaplain, I called IG and they basically told me to just deal with it! They said there are mandatory spiritual briefings and stuff like that! I told him that if I wanted to hear that I would go to church! But I do not know where to draw the line in the sand with these folks! I am almost out of there but I look out for the young soldiers also! I felt like the minority throughout most of my career! It should not be that way in an environment that they say is so professional!
It's weird, when I heard about the modern military, I thought they took a big step backwards in individual rights and freedom of religion. Progress is sometimes 2 steps forward and 3 steps back.

MAAF military association of atheists and freethinkers.

2008 CNN Atheist soldier sues Army for discrimination.

I loved being in the Army. No time before or after was as good for me. But when it was time to move on, I did.
I bet it's apathy above all. They might not even be agnostic. Religion just wasn't crossing their minds when reception was asking them for their religion.
That being said, I became friends with 2 other atheists and 3 agnostic~atheists my age at boot camp.
It was only after boot camp that I researched about atheists in America and I realized I was pretty lucky to have been around those guys.
James, great comment and information! You have given some hope to others.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service