Ok, I was reading the Skepitc's annotated book of mormon for a laugh and found this not so funny:

26:19
And it shall come to pass, that those who have dwindled in unbelief shall be smitten by the hand of the Gentiles.
{
God will get the Gentiles to kill all those who "dwindle in unbelief."}

It's in the book of Nephi.
Should I no longer answer the door to these crazy people?

P.S: yes I was bored and didnt know much about Mormons so I thought I might do some reading.

Views: 578

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What's really scary is "Blood Atonement". Most Mormons don't even know about it, since it's in the Journal of Discourses, but Brigham Young said that if someone commits a sin against the Holy Ghost (like premarital sex or murder) the only way for them to be forgiven by Jesus is to die by having their blood spilled. Luckily, as I said, most Mormons don't know about it, and hopefully wouldn't take their religion that seriously anyway....
When I read about FLDS, I think Warren Jeffs was talking about getting enough money and privacy to be able to do it.
Brigham Young's grandson was convicted of killing a woman in New York (who solicited sex), and there was some rumors of the idea of "Blood Atonement" going around with that.

Actually we had a discussion in one of my classes, since there's apparently no such thing as separating church and state here, and some people said that if the prophet ordered them to kill themselves, they probably would. A lot of them said no though. Which is a good call anyways since he's hella old...
Would be funny/tragic if they did. The Mormon version of Jonestown; they'd catch a firestorm of bad publicity.
Everyone picks and chooses pieces of their Faith to follow, while at the same time claiming not to. The world would be a scarier place if they didn't, however. My attitude always was: If you can't/won't/shouldn't follow all of it, why follow any of it? I told this to my father and he labeled me "extremist". I stated to him how that was possible, since that's really the only "correct" way to follow a religion in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I'm an anti-theist and I hate religion, but how does it make any sense to only follow some parts of a faith if you believe all of it to be true? Religion is a headache.
Only makes sense in that if a religion is contradictory, there is no way to follow all of it.

I TOTALLY agree with you Cynical Soldier.  I have always thought that.  Either believe it or don't.  How can they choose some things and not others.  So dumb.  So blind.  So full of crap.

It's all such a crock isn't it? And what a waste of time & life!

A sad and unnecessary one the affects not just those who choose to believe it, but those who chose not to (or not to care).
It's all organized and institution stupidity. It's hard to take them serious until they start talking about smiting the unbelievers and infidels - then they become real scary.
What a shitty affliction on our species.
Mormons are such creepers.
Bravo on reading the book of Mormons. i found it to be one of the weirdest religious text. I am glad to see that people read the books that others have faith in. It is not fair to argue against theism without knowing in detail what you are up against. Besides some of the religious text are quite good fiction.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Don replied to Čenek Sekavec's discussion Asparagus in the group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Amanda Ashcraft posted a photo
2 hours ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post Respect for other peoples culture
2 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Joan Denoo's blog post We need a new narrative.
2 hours ago
Luara replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Chris G replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
3 hours ago
Luara replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
3 hours ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post About that Bible
3 hours ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service