Atheist Nexus, tell me if ghosts are real, or if they aren't.  I'm a fence sitter~ I won't say that I believe in them, but I won't say that they aren't real.  I've had experiences people would say should prove to me that ghosts are real, but there was never anything in my mind that was conclusive.  What about you?

[Pic related, Proof Ghosts are REal]

Tags: Exist, Ghost, Paranormal

Views: 977

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ghosts stories make for good horror and drama, but not for good reality. Watching just one ghost hunters program makes it quite evident that all they are doing is spooking themselves and rushing to conclusions which are support by often nothing more then a feeling.

My problem with ghosts is the same basic problem I have with the idea of having a soul.

What is the evidence that there is something separate inside me that is independent of the brain and body. That the thing I think of as 'myself' could continue to exist outside of death is to my eyes crazy. Most if not all evidence points to the idea that there is no homunculus, there is no separate me which is independent of reality.

As well since I don't accept similar testimonials for gods, why would I accept them for ghosts.
I think it's all complete crap. I'll admit to going some places that were just creepy, but that's usually because you have a mental picture of what might have or did happen there. Nothing paranormal about that. See a shadow? Ok, well I have looked at those optical illusion sites, and it's clear that your eyes, are not always seeing things correctly and do in MANY instances, give you bad information!! Still, I would like to see at least one person on one of these silly little ghost shows get bitch slapped....whether it's by a ghost or not would be up for debate.....Have you ever watched one of those dumb ass shows?? Sci-fi channel doesn't piss me off as much as A&E....but then again, they also give you gems such as billy the exterminator, and dog the bounty hunter.....train wrecking trash, you just can't NOT watch.....
But yeah.......there's no ghosts.....
NO!
Ghosts are as real as god. Which is to say that there's probably a fantastically mundane explanation for 'paranormal' things.

If you haven't already, whenever you feel like there's a ghost you must first ask yourself, "Is there another explanation." I guarantee you there is. We can't even say that ghosts exist, it's a little hasty to then attribute things to them.

I explore abandonments for fun, part of that is going at night. As scary as that is with the, 'footsteps, wailing, moaning;' there has always been a brilliantly plain explanation.
the short answer to the question IS an emphatic NNNNOOOO!!!!
with no excuses. we are dealing with natural phenomena that needs to be rationally/scientifically explained. we need to stop giving credence to the thought that "we need to keep an open mind about the paranormal"...no we dont! its all bullshit kidz!!!!!!!!
No....no we dont! its all bullshit kidz!!!!!!!!. We need to investigate the natural phenoms that we are subject to as organic beings.
KEEP IT REAL KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
which means that they do not exist in reality but only in the fertile imagination of deluded people.
see lecture by Dr. Persinger from canada.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4292093832329014323#
and Dr. Andy Thomson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iMmvu9eMrg
I am also an amateur magician and know 2 things better than you positively
and that is how to fool others , but more importantly how we fool ourselves.
DONT LET ANYONE LEAD YOU INTO FOOLING YOURSELF!

P.S.
Penn&Teller rock!!!!!!!
The concept of sleep paralysis is an interesting one. While it's never happened to me, I've witnessed it as it happened to others. Example -while not sleep paralysis, per se, hallucinations non-the-less -my mother seeing demons when she was on her deathbed and doped up on morphine.

I have a friend who lives in a very old home in St. Louis. Teddy Roosevelt actually stayed in this house back in the day. It's a huge, multi-story behemouth...perfect for tales of being haunted, which my friend declares is true. Apparently, the previous owner appears to people on occasion. It has been rumored that wierd things happen there...salt/pepper shakers moving across a table by themself. Water faucets turning on/off by themself, blah blah blah. He had a renter on the top floor who said he saw the ghost of the previous owner once that scared him sh1tless. When he described the ghost, he described the previous owner to a "T". Yeah...whatever.

For the places that have consistently been deemed "haunted", I wonder what additional rationalizations could be made...other than the mind seeing what you want it to see. Anyway, my question is this...I wonder if there could be other elements at play that would cause a person to have such lucid hallucinations...especially many in the same place. Oh, say like a light gas leak, faulty wiring, lighting/perspective, drafts, and of course, vivid imaginations.

While this guy's house can certainly be creepy, I do believe there is a rational explanation for everything that has occurred there. I've even considered staying over a few nights in the ex-renter's apartment to see if I experience anything myself. OOOOoooOOOooOOoooOOooo scary!
check out the lectures I have listed and you will see a lot of things can make us think we are having some kind of paranormal experience.(normal=things that are ..well..normal, para=shit that deluded people make up for various reasons..mainly ignorance).
have fun in the "haunted" house.
p.s.
my mom had a similar experience. she saw all our dead ancestors and started calling there names one at a time, like she was greeting them.
disturbing and interesting yes...emotional?...very, it made me cry......supernatural or paranormal?.....NNNNOOOOOOOO.
just like many she was going into whats called "final curtain dementia". the brain starts dying and releases a huge load of endorphin like substances and you go "gently into that goodnight".
its just life!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service