We really need a tech category distinct from science. As if there aren't enough reasons to boycott anything to do with Apple...

Steve Jobs Has Just Gone Mad

Today Apple announced a version 4 their iPhone OS. It seems to answer most of the open issues relating to the platform. All sounded good.

But then, John Gruber over at Daring Fireball discovered a "hidden gem" in the new developer terms.

here they are:
3.3.1 — Applications may only use Documented APIs in the manner prescribed by Apple and must not use or call any private APIs. Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++, or JavaScript as executed by
the iPhone OS WebKit engine, and only code written in C, C++, and
Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs
(e.g., Applications that link to Documented APIs through an intermediary
translation or compatibility layer or tool are prohibited).

Aside from this being an attempt to drive another stake through the heart of Adobe and Flash, the other implications are obscene -

The key is where they say "Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++."

Take a pause and think about what that "originally" really means.

Developers are not free to use any tools to help them. If there is some tool that converts some Pascal or, Ruby, or Java into Objective-C it is out of bounds, because then the code is not "originally" written in C. This is akin to telling
people what kind of desk people sit at when they write software for the
iPhone. Or perhaps what kind of music they listen to. Or what kind of
clothes they should be wearing. This is *INSANE*.

I don't know who said this originally, but it is now an immutable truth. All Apple products are now little more than vending machines for i-store. People are paying full purchase price for products they will never legally own. With Apple, all your rights as a consumer have now been forfeited. This is open warfare to remove any inkling you may have of controlling or using your technology to suit your own needs. All decisions are made for you and there are no opt-out options. Apple has crawled into bed with the MafIAA, had a screaming orgasm and decided it wants to stay there. The consumer is just an annoying insect who's only use is to fork over cash for shiny garbage,

Apple are starting to make Microsoft seem reasonable and open by comparison. That is a mighty feat.

Tags: apple, consumer rights, mafiaa, totalitarianism

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mad as you may be, apple is brilliant. They make their money with intentionally hobbled hardware for one reason: Their hobbled stuff is better than Microsofts best stuff. So why would Apple sell v 2.0 when they can sell 1.0 for the same amount? If you want to force apple to make their stuff open to all, make better products yourself. Apple is just making the smart play.
Apple is just making a different play. They pursue a walled-garden approach so that they can make a higher profit margin on a smaller volume. Microsoft pursued an ecosystem approach so they could make a smaller profit margin on a greater volume. They've both made bazillions of dollars. The difference is, Apple created a company, whereas Microsoft created an industry. And even that isn't a value judgment about which was or is superior. They were both wildly successful business models. Whether either or both will continue to succeed in a world with open source is an open question, but I wouldn't count either one out.
@Logan Grado
I'll pretend forcing a company to change its ways is that simple in the case for your argument.
Now onto the issue of making an army of fan-boy's turn coat to a different product.

I, as a rule of thumb, never refer to people or companies that practice obviously dirty tactics like apple as brilliant. Whether or not its "good business sense" isn't the issue really. Its about the freedom to do what i want with the product i legally purchased.

You'd be better off convincing me apple is brilliant for their warranty or customer service (i hear its quite good, though i've never experienced it).

According to a post today that i found the FCC finally ok'd unlocking cell phones and such to do what you want them, against apple's complaints. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_wguy/ytech_wguy_tc3236

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service