We really need a tech category distinct from science. As if there aren't enough reasons to boycott anything to do with Apple...

Steve Jobs Has Just Gone Mad

Today Apple announced a version 4 their iPhone OS. It seems to answer most of the open issues relating to the platform. All sounded good.

But then, John Gruber over at Daring Fireball discovered a "hidden gem" in the new developer terms.

here they are:
3.3.1 — Applications may only use Documented APIs in the manner prescribed by Apple and must not use or call any private APIs. Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++, or JavaScript as executed by
the iPhone OS WebKit engine, and only code written in C, C++, and
Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs
(e.g., Applications that link to Documented APIs through an intermediary
translation or compatibility layer or tool are prohibited).

Aside from this being an attempt to drive another stake through the heart of Adobe and Flash, the other implications are obscene -

The key is where they say "Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++."

Take a pause and think about what that "originally" really means.

Developers are not free to use any tools to help them. If there is some tool that converts some Pascal or, Ruby, or Java into Objective-C it is out of bounds, because then the code is not "originally" written in C. This is akin to telling
people what kind of desk people sit at when they write software for the
iPhone. Or perhaps what kind of music they listen to. Or what kind of
clothes they should be wearing. This is *INSANE*.

I don't know who said this originally, but it is now an immutable truth. All Apple products are now little more than vending machines for i-store. People are paying full purchase price for products they will never legally own. With Apple, all your rights as a consumer have now been forfeited. This is open warfare to remove any inkling you may have of controlling or using your technology to suit your own needs. All decisions are made for you and there are no opt-out options. Apple has crawled into bed with the MafIAA, had a screaming orgasm and decided it wants to stay there. The consumer is just an annoying insect who's only use is to fork over cash for shiny garbage,

Apple are starting to make Microsoft seem reasonable and open by comparison. That is a mighty feat.

Tags: apple, consumer rights, mafiaa, totalitarianism

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Onion is marvelous. It's like they read Felch's mind. And didn't even get the heebie jeebies.

The iStore at the end is worth the price of admission.

Tux says, "Get Linux!"
I've debated for years about getting an ipod touch, but I've always shied away from it because of how much i think apple, as a company, is a giant douche. Still damn them for making stuff so stylish.
I've opted for an openmoko in the mean time, though i plan to build my own mobile device as a bit of a hobby and replacement for what i would with a ipod touch (when i get the money to buy the parts of-course).

Seriously though, i hate any company that tries to tell me what i can do with the hardware i purchased legally.
If I ever have to buy a portable media player I normally have no doubts, it's Creative all the way. No less of a giant douche, but at least it's not Apple. The originality factor alone makes it a better buy. Alternatively, buying an iPod and installing Linux on it would be a very sweet form of revenge.
Alternatively, buying an iPod and installing Linux on it would be a very sweet form of revenge.
I was considering this at one point, but i heard that the development for the linux distro had stopped. Also for awhile i had a bit of a mips architecture fetish, since thats what i was taught in my computer architecture class, but upon looking into the arm architecture a bit i realized its quite awesome and i believe is licensed under the bsd license? which is quite awesome in itself.

I really like projects like gizmoforyou and the idea of building my own custom portable media player has become increasingly appealing, as it appeals to my super nerd side.
I wasn't aware iPodLinux had been discontinued. That's a bummer :/
I believe ipod linux is still going, I don't think they have ever gotten it to work on a ipod touch or iphone.
I'm pretty sure the guys that did jailbreak got linux to run on the ipod touch but I don't think they ever did much with it, so its functionality was very limited, I have a hard time finding any information on that ipod touch project specifically they may of had some more progress with it. here's the link to the video, its 2 years old though, idk if there has been anything done with it since then http://vimeo.com/2373142.
I was thinking of getting a ipod touch because i liked its pc-like functionality and a portable wifi device would be awesome to have.
Personally I think I'll just wait a few more months before I start looking to buy a new handheld gadget to replace both my mp3 player and my trusted netbook. LG has just announced its first tablet, it should be out in Q3 this year. I'm sure other announcements will soon follow. I sure as hell am not buying an iPad. Not now, not ever.
I can't say as I really care that much. I use Ubuntu and Android for my computer and phone respectively.
I haven't had a chance to try out an Android mobile first-hand just yet, how's the baby behaving?
I've used various distros for years and have Ubuntu right now. I'm really happy with Linux and plan to stay with it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service