While I have been an atheist for about ten years now, I have to admit that I am not that educated on different religious views and all the contradictions that have been pointed out within said views.  I became an atheist for one simple reason, and that is for all I know, the bible is just one lengthy fictitious story filled with, for the lack of a better word, immoralities that no one in their right mind should follow or even support for that matter.  That one simple reason was enough for me to decide that I am not an insane, mindless sheep.  That being said....what reading do you fellow atheists recommend?

Views: 402

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Stephanie, Here is a short list of books you can start with.  The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, Letter to a Christian Nation, The End of Faith, both by Sam Harris.  God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens. Also do a search for atheist book on Google or Amazon and pick from the many offered.  Hope this helpes. 

I second "Letter to a Christian Nation". Short book but an absolute must read.

Definitely check out Jonathan Miller's 'Brief History of Disbelief' and 'The Atheism Tapes' which I believe you can find on Netflix. Christopher Hitchens put together a great compilation called 'The Portable Atheist' which will give you many authors to research. Bertrand Russell, Mark Twain, Epicurus, Thomas Hobbes...where should I begin?

And don't be too hard on the bible. I do not believe this compilation was ever meant to be the tool for religion that it has become. There is some history there, some of humanities first real attempt at literature. I have several old copies myself and use them as reference. I have one especially useful copy that contains both the old and new testaments, all changes, additions and omissions and how the two versions differ.

I have also read, amongst others, CS Lewis and Thomas Aquinas as well as Elie Wiesel. They all have something to say and I listen with a non-judgmental ear to remain honest and open minded.

Hope this helps -MS

I understand where you are coming from, I really do.  But I find it difficult not be hard on a book, if there is any truth to it, that basically says that a person deserves to die for committing blasphemy.

Thank you for your recommendations.  I think that I have seen bits and pieces of either the 'Brief History of Disbelief' or 'The Atheism Tapes', I can't remember which one.  I will have to definitely go back and watch both of those all the way through.  I also believe that The God Delusion is one that even my supervisor recommends.  I have only recently been checking out "The Atheist Experience", they have some very interesting debates on there.

+1 on reading "The God Delusion" by Dawkins. It's the one book that I cared enough about to actually buy. The book is like an all-in-one handbook for nonbelievers.

Anyone read "God, No!" by Penn Jillette?

Haven't heard of it but will give it a look.

Also -I might suggest a good look at the history of the crusades and/or the inquisition. If you still believe in the god of Abraham and his three little religions after that then my next suggestion would be "One Flew Over the Coo-coo's Nest"...

Yeah, I read "God, No!".  Don't waste your money.  Rambling tome about people Penn knows (both famous and not) which he tries to tie into the 10 commandments - and fails.  And, a few boring lectures on the benefits of libertariansim. A couple of funny stories, but on the whole, not worth your time.

Hi,

Just read the following......something a bit different!

TOXIC CHARITY - 'How churches and charities hurt those they help' by Robert D. Lupton

THINKING OF ANSWERS by A.C. Grayling

:)

Just wanted to add another good book, "The New Atheism: Taking a Stand for Science and Reason" by Victor Stenger. I haven't read the entire book yet, but so far it is a keeper. Gives a wealth of talking points and is chock full of citations.

I actually have that book.  I must say it is a very interesting read indeed.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service