While I have been an atheist for about ten years now, I have to admit that I am not that educated on different religious views and all the contradictions that have been pointed out within said views.  I became an atheist for one simple reason, and that is for all I know, the bible is just one lengthy fictitious story filled with, for the lack of a better word, immoralities that no one in their right mind should follow or even support for that matter.  That one simple reason was enough for me to decide that I am not an insane, mindless sheep.  That being said....what reading do you fellow atheists recommend?

Views: 398

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Religion Virus by Craig A. James.  I found it to be a good introduction to an explanation of memes and how they spread, especially with respect to religious concepts.

I think one of the best things we can do as atheist is understand the universe around us. Its good to read books on atheism, but getting a good sound science education is one of the best things we can do.

I recommend:

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.

Bad Astronomy by Phil Plait.

Genome by Matt Ridley.

General Atheism:

The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan.

Being Logical: A Guide to Good Thinking by D.Q. McInerny

I especially recommend not to read Dawkins' books. Wikipedia gives general rules of the religions and their history.

Try godless by Dan Barker

Thank you very much for all of your recommendations.  I will definitely have to write all these down.

massimo pigliucci's "denying evolution" covers many many bases; many connections. heavy stuff; like a small sized paperback textbook I tell ya!

Terry Pratchet Small Gods.
He pokes fun at religion in a very British way.

I second this one. I love everything Terry Pratchett has ever written.

The halley bibble was a slam for me!

Atheism: The Case Against God by George Smith makes some very good and thorough arguments.

I know this isn't exactly about atheism per se, but it's quite a shocking account of someone who spent his whole life from childhood to his mid-thirties in one of the most dangerous and widespread cults.  *looks over shoulder*

"Blown for Good: Behind the Iron Curtain of Scientology" by Marc Headley 

American Atheist's electronic newsletter
FFRF's 2dollar'ish newspaper well worth a black-collar crime blotter read
aaaand.... Dawkins! Magic of Reality!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service