While I have been an atheist for about ten years now, I have to admit that I am not that educated on different religious views and all the contradictions that have been pointed out within said views.  I became an atheist for one simple reason, and that is for all I know, the bible is just one lengthy fictitious story filled with, for the lack of a better word, immoralities that no one in their right mind should follow or even support for that matter.  That one simple reason was enough for me to decide that I am not an insane, mindless sheep.  That being said....what reading do you fellow atheists recommend?

Views: 405

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Stephanie, Here is a short list of books you can start with.  The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, Letter to a Christian Nation, The End of Faith, both by Sam Harris.  God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens. Also do a search for atheist book on Google or Amazon and pick from the many offered.  Hope this helpes. 

I second "Letter to a Christian Nation". Short book but an absolute must read.

Definitely check out Jonathan Miller's 'Brief History of Disbelief' and 'The Atheism Tapes' which I believe you can find on Netflix. Christopher Hitchens put together a great compilation called 'The Portable Atheist' which will give you many authors to research. Bertrand Russell, Mark Twain, Epicurus, Thomas Hobbes...where should I begin?

And don't be too hard on the bible. I do not believe this compilation was ever meant to be the tool for religion that it has become. There is some history there, some of humanities first real attempt at literature. I have several old copies myself and use them as reference. I have one especially useful copy that contains both the old and new testaments, all changes, additions and omissions and how the two versions differ.

I have also read, amongst others, CS Lewis and Thomas Aquinas as well as Elie Wiesel. They all have something to say and I listen with a non-judgmental ear to remain honest and open minded.

Hope this helps -MS

I understand where you are coming from, I really do.  But I find it difficult not be hard on a book, if there is any truth to it, that basically says that a person deserves to die for committing blasphemy.

Thank you for your recommendations.  I think that I have seen bits and pieces of either the 'Brief History of Disbelief' or 'The Atheism Tapes', I can't remember which one.  I will have to definitely go back and watch both of those all the way through.  I also believe that The God Delusion is one that even my supervisor recommends.  I have only recently been checking out "The Atheist Experience", they have some very interesting debates on there.

+1 on reading "The God Delusion" by Dawkins. It's the one book that I cared enough about to actually buy. The book is like an all-in-one handbook for nonbelievers.

Anyone read "God, No!" by Penn Jillette?

Haven't heard of it but will give it a look.

Also -I might suggest a good look at the history of the crusades and/or the inquisition. If you still believe in the god of Abraham and his three little religions after that then my next suggestion would be "One Flew Over the Coo-coo's Nest"...

Yeah, I read "God, No!".  Don't waste your money.  Rambling tome about people Penn knows (both famous and not) which he tries to tie into the 10 commandments - and fails.  And, a few boring lectures on the benefits of libertariansim. A couple of funny stories, but on the whole, not worth your time.

Hi,

Just read the following......something a bit different!

TOXIC CHARITY - 'How churches and charities hurt those they help' by Robert D. Lupton

THINKING OF ANSWERS by A.C. Grayling

:)

Just wanted to add another good book, "The New Atheism: Taking a Stand for Science and Reason" by Victor Stenger. I haven't read the entire book yet, but so far it is a keeper. Gives a wealth of talking points and is chock full of citations.

I actually have that book.  I must say it is a very interesting read indeed.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Neanderthal Man replied to Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Viking Trance in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
40 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man posted a video

Viking Trance - The Spyda Web from Napoleon Bonaparte on Vimeo.

Viking Trance - The Spyda Web

Music by Viking Trance with video artwork and editing by Napoleon Bonaparte. Smart Dog Video London (UK) 2014. Viking Trance Radio www.vikingtrance.com Viking Trance buy link
48 minutes ago
Man boob posted a status
"CHECK OUT THE SONGS I UPLOADED ON MY PROFILE WOOOOOOOOO"
1 hour ago
Man boob posted songs
1 hour ago
Rick posted a blog post
1 hour ago
Rick posted a status
"Pondering....pondering......pondering...."
1 hour ago
Jonathan Tweet replied to Freethinker31's discussion Are Atheists too judgmental??
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Joan Denoo's blog post I am offended
3 hours ago
Vangelis replied to Vangelis's discussion Declaration of Atheism
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Joan Denoo's blog post Isn’t it time to save the the U.S.A. from the South?
4 hours ago
Joan Denoo posted a discussion
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to matthew greenberg's discussion ISIS - a conservative paradise in Iraq
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service