For me it's Joan Osbourne's "what if god was one of us"

These can also be anti religeous songs...just needs to be a theistic theme....

Views: 515

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've loved this song since the Byrds first sang it in my dating years.

"Down in the River to Pray" Alison Krauss from the flilm "O Brother Where Art Thou ?" I am a sucker for A Capella tunes I'm afraid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1FQqSGxBso

I also very much like "Down in the River to Pray" and especially "Man of constant Sorrow" from the movie "O Brother Where Art Thou?"

I enjoy a lot of A Capella tunes as well, my favorite being "Seven Bridges Road" by the Eagles.  It's not totally A Cappella and not religious, but I just had to give it a mention.

Guilty Pleasure religious songs because of the music, but not the words. The music needs to be good enough in some way to overcome my distaste for the lyrics. Two off the top of my head are:

Electric Prunes - "Mass in F Minor" and "Release of an Oath."

Additionally, I like the music of Iona; they have a religious core without knocking you over the head with it.

Antireligious tunes I love:

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - "The Only Way"

Jethro Tull - "My God"

Fish - "Big Wedge" and "What Colour is God"

10cc - "The Second Sitting for the Last Supper"

Pallas - The Cross and the Crucible (the whole album)

Frank Zappa - "Heavenly Bank Account" "The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing" and "Dumb All Over"

I agree with you that they have to have enough musical appeal to overcome the bad message.

Does "Hail Holy Queen" from the Sister Act soundtrack count?

Thanks for reminding me.  I like that song and love "I Will Follow Him".  They count as far as I'm concerned.

hahaha. I never look at it this way, as a guilty pleasure. 

But I love the song Amazing Grace... it is just nice to listen to. 

Beat me to it SuperNova.  Amazing Grace is one of my favorite songs of any kind. 

I loved it when I was Mormon more than any Mormon Hymns, even though my sister said it was bad because Mormons don't believe we are "wretches".

I still love it, at least certain arrangements and performances:

My favorite version is in a second-rate movie that I can't remember now.  My second favorite version is on an audio recording I have by Judy Collins.  I can't find it on YouTube, but I did find a good one by Leann Rimes:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iT88jBAoVIM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't know why the embed code didn't work, but this should get you there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT88jBAoVIM

In Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, they make as tasteful a use of Amazing Grace as ever I've seen, first with Scotty's bagpipes, then segueing to an orchestral restatement of the closing phrase of that song. Spock was no "wretch," and while he needed saving after a fashion, it was his friends who came through for him after he gave his life to come through for them.

I love the symmetry of that!

Thanks.  I love the bagpipes.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service