Almost a couple of years after we learned that Anne Rice left Christianity, here are a couple of update interviews where she talks about how she feels about organized religion and her reasons for leaving Christianity.

http://www.annerice.com/Chamber-Christianity.html

In her original coming out statement, she declared:

Today I quit being a Christian.  I'm out ... in the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay.  I refuse to be anti-feminist.  I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control.  I refuse to be anti-democrat.  I refuse to be anti-secular humanism.   I refuse to be anti-science.  I refuse to be anti-life.  In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being a Christian, Amen.

Views: 813

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I also kinda like Jesus, he was a hippie, anti-consumerism, I may not agree with the beliefs he entertained but I think he must have flirted with atheism to say what he said in John 8:44 when he called the god of the jews 'the devil', and then on the cross he said 'father why have you forsaken me'.  He had atheist moments.  I also like many of his ethical teachings, even if I reject the supernatural claims made about him (sort of like Thomas Jefferson did) ... so I guess I'm like Dawkins, an atheist for Jesus.

I think humanists should reclaim him and take him back like Jefferson did and like Dawkins wants to do and turn him into a secular culture hero, create a post-Christian, secular interpretation of him.  A humanist gospel.  The Jefferson Bible?

I still think "he's" a fiction, especially with anything regarding:

Saying stuff

Doing stuff

Being stuff

Richard, I also don't believe 'he' was a real person.  Just a character in stories made-up out of many parts of different stories that came before 'he' did.

I think he was a person but I speculate that most of what was said, done, or being was embellished. Like they say in Texas, "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story." 

Hmm… It's not like the name was obscure and unique at that time, neither was claiming to be the Judaic messiah (still hasn't made an appearance according to them…)

Maybe 2000 years from now there will be a religion based on the teachings of an auto-mechanic named, Larry.

Larryism.  May your carburator be free of gunk.  May your points always be freshly filed.  May your U-joint always be freely mobile.

And then there will be a schism in Larryism.  Some will argue he was a mechanic, and others will claim he was the divine cable guy.

There is only one true Larry.  The others must die.

The government can't force me to insure my Volvo, as a Wrenchian, I believe that my Volvo is divinely protected by Larry Wrench of Nazareth (PA), son of God, saviour of my ride, anointed one (Pennzoil).

It is written in my Haynes-Chilton's bible (NASCAR ver.)...

So auto insurance infringes on my first amendment rights.

There, see how easy this is?

Nazareth, PA, eh?  I always knew Mario Andretti was god!

May your transmission never leak.  May your radiator always radiate.  May your exhaust be pure and likened to a breath of fresh air, as you convert catalytically.

" I always knew Mario Andretti was god!"

Blasphemer!

St. Mario was just a prophet.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service