Almost a couple of years after we learned that Anne Rice left Christianity, here are a couple of update interviews where she talks about how she feels about organized religion and her reasons for leaving Christianity.

http://www.annerice.com/Chamber-Christianity.html

In her original coming out statement, she declared:

Today I quit being a Christian.  I'm out ... in the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay.  I refuse to be anti-feminist.  I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control.  I refuse to be anti-democrat.  I refuse to be anti-secular humanism.   I refuse to be anti-science.  I refuse to be anti-life.  In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being a Christian, Amen.

Views: 815

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But does she get the believing nonbelievers, and the believing believers?  Maybe not!

When is an apple not an apple? …when it's a banana.

Anne Rice likes apples, but not when they're bananas.

Okay, that's close, …I still can't make it fit.

Anne Rice woo.

Speaking of woo...

""Certainly I will never go back to being that atheist and that pessimist that I was. I live now in a world that I feel God created, and I feel I live in a world where God witnesses everything that happens… " ~ Anne Rice; Feb. 27, 2012, NPR

Pessimist? Anne, …it's obvious you were doing it wrong.

She sounds and looks like a lady who has abandonment issues; she seeks a world in which she is not alone. 

I wonder if one looks through a telescope and perceives the vast space and time and fources that keeps moons, planets, stars and galaxies moving in patterns or as chaos? I wonder if she looks through a microscope and sees all the elements that join together by natural forces to make the vast diversity of life. Putting together the images of very large and very small could be perceived by her or those who perceive god, whatever that is, as necessary for everything to work, not realizing that it is in the exploding star that cooks elements into forms that are reformed into other things, including humans and rabbits and everything else. Being one human being is not insignificant! it is full of wonder and needs no god to make all this happen. 

"She sounds and looks like a lady who has abandonment issues; she seeks a world in which she is not alone."

She's cut herself off from all the communities (atheist and theist alike) she's been a part of though, …ironic, no?

Semantics. Nothing more. She's an artist. By default that makes her wishy washy.

"Semantics. Nothing more."

Do you mean, "quibbling semantics" in regards to what Christianity/Christian mean?

I think you are close,there-remember, Christians (at least of the Evangelical persuasion) don't consider themselves "religious" at all.Talk about semantics...so it wouldn't surprise me to hear someone announce they are leaving "Christianity", but that they still believe in the "Christ" part, just not the "ianity" part. -and if you feel yourself being pulled down that rabbit hole along with Alice, you are not alone...

Ha! that's not quibbling, that's just deception (self or otherwise).

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service