Almost a couple of years after we learned that Anne Rice left Christianity, here are a couple of update interviews where she talks about how she feels about organized religion and her reasons for leaving Christianity.

http://www.annerice.com/Chamber-Christianity.html

In her original coming out statement, she declared:

Today I quit being a Christian.  I'm out ... in the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay.  I refuse to be anti-feminist.  I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control.  I refuse to be anti-democrat.  I refuse to be anti-secular humanism.   I refuse to be anti-science.  I refuse to be anti-life.  In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being a Christian, Amen.

Views: 801

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh sex - I like that!

I didn't know that Anne had left Christianity and I was surprised when she announced that she was a Christian. Her statement is clear as to why she left and many of us share her opinions and have made the same decision.

Now that we have denounced religion as a way of life, we can speak our own truth, listen to others and explore together the ways we can live with full appreciation of our full humanity. Living without religion is not a lack of anything and I can't make the statement so many make. I am an atheist and I lack nothing because of it. 

Hmmm...is there some profit-making notoriety in there somewhere, I wonder?  I note that she didn't say she doesn't believe in God, just that she doesn't like organized religion.

Oh! She gets the non-believing-believers and the non-believing-non-believers.  Good strategy

This is the best thread ever….

This is what she said:

"I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being "Christian" or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to "belong" to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group." 

Let's see, what would you think if someone from this site tried to get away with...

“I quit being an atheist. I refuse to be a dick. I refuse to treat religion with contempt. I refuse to be anti-clergy. I refuse to be anti-Republican. I am done with atheism!

Oh, and by the way, I don’t believe in god."

It's just as disingenuous and hypocritical. 

It reminds me of this cartoon:

Bingo!

Uh oh, …now I have to figure out a self-refuting bingo metaphor…

Wait! …there's no Jesus in bingo!

See?!?!?

"Personally, I find atheists just as anoying as fundamentalist Christians."

"Well, the important thing is that you've found a way to feel superior to both."

Let me think a minute. It is not that I feel superior to Christians, it is that I do not support laws that violate my basic human rights. A woman's health and safety comes before that of her pregnancy and she has the right to terminate it with the counsel of her medical professionals.

Women have the right to be in charge of their bodies and are fully capable of making decisions without interference.  

"It is not that I feel superior to Christians"

…like Anne Rice does.

Oh great, my last post paged away from it's straight-line into top of the page WTF?! land.

Meh

Continuity's over-rated.

Speaking of Anne Rice...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service