Almost a couple of years after we learned that Anne Rice left Christianity, here are a couple of update interviews where she talks about how she feels about organized religion and her reasons for leaving Christianity.

http://www.annerice.com/Chamber-Christianity.html

In her original coming out statement, she declared:

Today I quit being a Christian.  I'm out ... in the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay.  I refuse to be anti-feminist.  I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control.  I refuse to be anti-democrat.  I refuse to be anti-secular humanism.   I refuse to be anti-science.  I refuse to be anti-life.  In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being a Christian, Amen.

Views: 813

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used the Marquis as an example because it's such an Anne Rice-esque word. 

Lawrence, Undead Marquis of Nazareth (PA)

Anne Rice probably believes in Larry, has a car and a personal mechanic but wants nothing to do with other people with cars or mechanics ...who believe in Larry.

Seriously, this needs a Venn diagram in three dimensions or something...

F'ckin' hypocrites, I hate 'em, …unless they like …give me money and stuff...

I'm so dense sometimes.  Now I get it.  I think your earlier Venn diagram works just fine.

well, according to the Jesus Seminary which is the only attempt ever carried out at discerning empirically the historical Jesus, only about 18% of what he is said to have done and said he actually said and did.  Jesus Seminary believes in a historical Yeshua but not the supernatural claims about him, in fact they actually put out a Gospel according to the Jesus Seminary with their scholarly findings.

I don't know, I don't care, I think the idea of Jesus will never go away, he is a cultural icon, similar to the cultural heroes of other civilizations and I do think secular humanists should take him back.

I don't think Jesus as described in the bible really existed.  There may have been several cult figures who were popular among disaffected 1st-century Jews and the gospel writers just cobbled together various tales and myths about them. My favorite take on the generation of the Jesus myth is Monty Python's Life of Brian.  Probably not too far off the mark!

"Probably not too far off the mark!"

It's funny (funny "ha ha", as well as the "hmmmm…" kinda' funny), I've always thought that Python's "Life of Brian" was the most believable of all the Jesus films.

I am for Life of Brian!

"I also kinda like Jesus, he was a hippie, anti-consumerism"

Should anyone who bothers to think for themselves really give a rotten damn what Anne Rice thinks?

Well, for one, she was a delightful writer to read until she got into the mysticisms. I am not a fan of mysticism. 

[shrug] All I've read of hers are Exit to Eden and the first of the Beauty books - both of them wastes of paper.  Her idea of BDSM is both irresponsible and not remotely representative of the scene community - UN-safe, IN-sane and in no way, shape or form consensual.

Back when I was in a state of religious delusion, I went on an Anne Rice jag.  All of her supernatural, vampire and witchcraft-themed novels, that is.  They were all full of sex, which wasn't so bad, just that the sex was the only memorable thing about them.  Glad I don't care about reading that shit anymore (the supernatural stuff, that is.  Sex is still fun to read about).

"Sex is still fun to read about"

As long as it's someone else's.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service