An Atheist Who Doesn't Think An Atheist Should Be President

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/atheist-s-e-cupp-i-would-never-vote...

S.E. Cupp, conservative pundit, Glen Beck follower, new MSNBC host, and self professed Atheist has just said one of the most mind numbingly ridiculous things that an Atheist could say.  in a discussion about Mitt Romney's religion, she was asked what if he were an Atheist?  her response was something that i can't imagine any other Atheist in the world stating:

"“And you know what? I would never vote for an atheist president. Ever,”

wait, what????  she added:

“Because I do not think that someone who represents 5 to 10 percent of the population should be representing and thinking that everyone else in the world is crazy, but me,”

ok, i may be using my brain too much, but isn't the Mormon population much less than 5% here in the US?  i'll let her finish:

“The other part of it — I like that there is a check, OK? That there‘s a person in the office that doesn’t think he’s bigger than the state,” she continued. “I like religion being a check and knowing that my president goes home every night addressing someone above him and not thinking all the power resides right here… Atheists don’t have that.”

really?  you like that the leader of the Free World thinks he is communicating with a being that you know doesn't even exist?  look, we all get over the fact that most people truly believe in a God, and some even think they talk to the big Guy, but that idea is something that gives most Atheists the shivers (or the willies, or the heebie jeebies).  and that's when ordinary people do it.  when the POTUS gets advice from a non-existent entity, we Atheist get concerned. 

and it may never become an issue.  perhaps our Christian President's of the past have simply paid God lip service.  perhaps they have never taken advice from their imaginary friend, although one wonders about GWB.  but as an Atheist, this is one of our primary concerns with Religion in the Government.  and here is Ms. Cupp, an Atheist, stating that she wants a Religious person in charge.  worse yet, she doesn't want someone who relies on reason, logic, and evidence to be elected President? 

her rationale is clearly faulty.  just because someone is an Atheist doesn't mean that they think they are bigger than the state.  where did that even come from?  does she believe herself to be bigger than the state?  maybe she's projecting her own gigantic ego on other Atheists.  maybe she's hung around the GOP Beckbot Religious crowd too long and has started to believe their bullshit.  and i hate to go here, because i don't like to get into other people's minds, but it must be asked - maybe she's not really an Atheist. 

finally, she thinks that all Atheists think religious people are crazy, hence they can't properly govern all the people.  while this is true for some Atheists, most seem to think that they are unfortunate to have been given their Religious life, at least the fundamentalists.  regardless, don't all different Religions have this element to it?  certainly Evangelical Christians think that Mormons are crazy.  i don't know what Mormons believe, but since their doctrine is far different from the other Christian beliefs, is it unreasonable to think that many Mormons feel that all other sects of Christianity are crazy?  one thing we do know is that all forms of Christianity think that Islam is crazy. 

S.E. Cupp has failed the test.  she gets an F minus for her comment.  many people call her smart, and perhaps that is the case, but she fails to use even the most basic form of logic in her statements here.  and as a result, i must question her motive for her argument. 

Views: 451

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can think of no more conflicted and questionable atheist than S. E. Cupp.  When she attempted to discuss atheism and religion on Bill Maher some time back, she made positively ZERO SENSE.  Too often it sounds as though she need to APOLOGIZE for her atheism, which hardly reflects well on her.

On top of that, is she even aware of Article VI of the US Constitution, which states in Paragraph Three that "...no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."  This government is SUPPOSED to be secular.  Jack Kennedy made a point of negating his catholicism as a factor in how he would govern, and if the RC church had any impact whatsoever on his actions in office, I am not aware of them.  Yet since that time, it seems as though the chest-beating about religious affiliation has only become louder and less appropriate.

NO public official should execute their office based on belief, but based on the LAW.  If Cupp cannot recognize that, then her problem is far more severe than her understanding (or lack thereof!) of how government SHOULD work or who should govern at all.

... some even think they talk to the big Guy .... when the POTUS gets advice from a non-existent entity, we Atheist get concerned.

Especially when that advice never contradicts their previous beliefs!

(Early this year I mentioned this on another thread...)

religioustolerance.org conducted a small pilot study to see whether people could "assess the will of God" through prayer and find consistent answers -- specifically, concerning same-sex marriage. The result: while different participants felt they had received answers that God favored or opposed same-sex marriage, the answers always agreed with the person's prior personal beliefs! Not a single person got a "message from God" that they had been wrong.

I distrust those who know so well what God wants because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.
--Susan B. Anthony

thanks Loren, i just posted that quote on Facebook.  i love borderline Atheist quotes from well respected Americans for FB posts. 

The one big difference with being an atheist, is that we are neutral. This meaning we have no religious agenda that affects our thinking or actions (unless you are anti-religious or militant). While we have representatives of different denominations already in office, once again, this brings us to our argument of separation of church and state - ALL CHURCHES!.

Technically, we shouldn't even know what personal beliefs politicians have. But unfortunately most push their personal agenda on others therefore it is imperative that we do know, Romney being a perfect example because mormons are just batshit crazy but I think that his passion for riches and money far more outweigh his religious views.

"S.E. Cupp has failed the test.  she gets an F minus for her comment."

Let's not be so hasty. She's thinking outside the box, pushing the envelope. That deserves special mention.

I give her a G

lol.  i'd say she is outside the box.  the box that includes Atheists.

What a ridiculous statement. Someone who does not represent 5+% of the population should not be President? What if someone who is a natural-born citizen who is of Indian ancestry (they are around 5%) wants to run for President. Should he/she be automatically D.Q.ed because I.A.s are of that percentage? Another thing where Cupp screwed up is that the President represents 100% of the population.

you'd think that if she was really an Atheist she would have thought about that.  it's a basic line of thinking that she seems unable to see. 

First off, I am of the humble opinion that S.E. Cupp is not an atheist. She is a shill, snake oil salesperson, phony front girl, and mouthpiece for the religious conservative right wing. What better person can the right wing agenda, fueled by religious fanaticism, put out as a front person. Drum roll maestro - AN ATHEIST! And, an "atheist" that agrees with every nonsensical, illogical, slimy thing they promote. An "atheist" that doesn't like or approve of atheists.  An "atheist" that promotes religious values. An "atheist" that wishes she had the gift of faith. Puhhhh-leeeeze!!!! At least the alleged child prostitute customer Rush Limbaugh, and uneducated screaming skull Shawn Hannity - as scumy as they are - have more honesty in their little finger than this bitch.

you're right, she sure doesn't sound very "Atheistic" to me. 

I agree - probably a phony atheist.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service