An Atheist Who Doesn't Think An Atheist Should Be President

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/atheist-s-e-cupp-i-would-never-vote...

S.E. Cupp, conservative pundit, Glen Beck follower, new MSNBC host, and self professed Atheist has just said one of the most mind numbingly ridiculous things that an Atheist could say.  in a discussion about Mitt Romney's religion, she was asked what if he were an Atheist?  her response was something that i can't imagine any other Atheist in the world stating:

"“And you know what? I would never vote for an atheist president. Ever,”

wait, what????  she added:

“Because I do not think that someone who represents 5 to 10 percent of the population should be representing and thinking that everyone else in the world is crazy, but me,”

ok, i may be using my brain too much, but isn't the Mormon population much less than 5% here in the US?  i'll let her finish:

“The other part of it — I like that there is a check, OK? That there‘s a person in the office that doesn’t think he’s bigger than the state,” she continued. “I like religion being a check and knowing that my president goes home every night addressing someone above him and not thinking all the power resides right here… Atheists don’t have that.”

really?  you like that the leader of the Free World thinks he is communicating with a being that you know doesn't even exist?  look, we all get over the fact that most people truly believe in a God, and some even think they talk to the big Guy, but that idea is something that gives most Atheists the shivers (or the willies, or the heebie jeebies).  and that's when ordinary people do it.  when the POTUS gets advice from a non-existent entity, we Atheist get concerned. 

and it may never become an issue.  perhaps our Christian President's of the past have simply paid God lip service.  perhaps they have never taken advice from their imaginary friend, although one wonders about GWB.  but as an Atheist, this is one of our primary concerns with Religion in the Government.  and here is Ms. Cupp, an Atheist, stating that she wants a Religious person in charge.  worse yet, she doesn't want someone who relies on reason, logic, and evidence to be elected President? 

her rationale is clearly faulty.  just because someone is an Atheist doesn't mean that they think they are bigger than the state.  where did that even come from?  does she believe herself to be bigger than the state?  maybe she's projecting her own gigantic ego on other Atheists.  maybe she's hung around the GOP Beckbot Religious crowd too long and has started to believe their bullshit.  and i hate to go here, because i don't like to get into other people's minds, but it must be asked - maybe she's not really an Atheist. 

finally, she thinks that all Atheists think religious people are crazy, hence they can't properly govern all the people.  while this is true for some Atheists, most seem to think that they are unfortunate to have been given their Religious life, at least the fundamentalists.  regardless, don't all different Religions have this element to it?  certainly Evangelical Christians think that Mormons are crazy.  i don't know what Mormons believe, but since their doctrine is far different from the other Christian beliefs, is it unreasonable to think that many Mormons feel that all other sects of Christianity are crazy?  one thing we do know is that all forms of Christianity think that Islam is crazy. 

S.E. Cupp has failed the test.  she gets an F minus for her comment.  many people call her smart, and perhaps that is the case, but she fails to use even the most basic form of logic in her statements here.  and as a result, i must question her motive for her argument. 

Views: 459

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf9XskuqDvk&feature=related

ok, after watching this, there is absolutely no fucking way that this woman is an Atheist.  i call bullshit!

I hate to be an "I told ya so", but............

I agree with Loren.  I WANT an atheist for the same reason that Pat Tillman wanted one in his foxhole: the person would not be off "in la-la land" - but fully focused on the situation at hand.  Thus, an atheist Prez. can and should be a moral example who bases policy decisions on the Constitution, along with science, reason, law, cost, consequences, and other earthly concerns, without worrying about what the damn Bible says or, worse, what God wants him to do. 

It will be a challenge to govern a nation the majority of which you consider deluded.   She has a point.  The atheist Prez. will have to take a neutral stance on religion: purely a private matter, none of the the government's business.

I've said it in several discussions, and I'll repeat it here: I want national policies based on law, reason, science, the Constitution, common sense, compassion, and justice.  All of this is attainable without religion. I do NOT want the country governed by a religious believer (delusional) or lukewarm pretend-believer (liar, hypocrite).

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service