While the fact that I, as an atheist, marrying a christian was a sure fire way to lead to disagreements it went a bit too far today.

She has spending each day at a ongoing church revival for the last two weeks.  Today I finally raised a bit of concern for just how much time she was spending there each day (from about 10am to 3pm and then 6pm to 11pm each day).  Her response was something that I have never experienced before - She "rebuked me in the name of Jesus", called me a devil and proceeded to follow me around the house talking in tongues.  WTF!   How is that any different then a small child sticking their fingers in their ears and saying "nanana I can't hear you!"?  To me that is just incredibly disrespectful and dismissive as if anything said couldn't possibly be from a spouse but had to be the boogieman.  

Views: 1648

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmm, speaking in tongues, eh?  Have you, by chance, studied Conversational Klingon?
WHA???  I'm sorry.  I could not handle that.
Living with a fundie.  "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"
Dude, sorry.
Your feelings are justified.  Spending 10 hours away from a spouse and family by choice needs some explaining.  You deserve an explanation.  If you re-visit this discussion, make sure that she knows that you're bringing it up because you miss spending time with her.  It appears to be that she's 'escaping' into this other world for some reason and you deserve to know why.  If you would do the same, and escape by playing video games 10 hours a day, or going to the tavern with your buddies 10 hours a day, wouldn't she see her behavior in a similar light? Just because she's 'reviving' her Christianity doesn't mean it's a healthy thing...it sounds destructive to me if she's having these sorts of weird 'outbursts'.  Speaking in tongues is pure theater.  It seems such an odd response to an honest question and an honest concern about your relationship!
unfortunately people do choose their religious addiction over their families
She's no ordinary Christian - she's a nut (sorry, I'm no help at all...).

Disturbing ....  :(

She sounds like my nutty pentecostal mother.  I don't know if she did that do my father.  I'm not sure if he ended up going to church just to shut my mother up - he is opposite to her but is supportive.  Pentecostal christianity was many wasted years of my life.

My crazy mother told me I needed 'deliverance' (exorcism for those not familiar with the jargon) when I was clinically depressed.  I didn't get diagnosed until 3 years later.

Yes, it is disrespectful for her to do that (as well as insane).

BTW, I can still 'speak in tongues' and I no longer believe.  Just try it out sometime when she's not at home & give it right back (not sure if that'll work, but might be worth a shot)

Xanthe is right about practicing, but since you have small kids, be sure this happens when they are in the sandbox. Or, just be the bigger person and try to ignore it.

Hello, I am also an atheist marred to a christian.

While my wife is no where near as fundamental some things remain the same. 

Main thing is the kids come first. Both should be able to agree to discuss this difference away from the kids.

You don't want her going nuts in front of them and I'm assuming she does not want them to see you responding to her nuttiness...

that settled

She is spending to much time at church and it is not healthy(really who would tell her to talk in tounges at you? and support her in doing that?)

so Simply request less time and church and maybe suggest more time reading the bible. It's the word of her god and may represent a compromise. You may have to offer to read it yourself...bring your observations to her and maybe she will see it's a book...nothing more..

Or if she persists she knows you have read the bible...and for some reason that matters.

Actually, this is the best answer so far. Very well done, Morgal. :)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Luara replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
24 minutes ago
Chris G replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
41 minutes ago
Luara replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
55 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post About that Bible
1 hour ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
1 hour ago
Scott DeLong updated their profile
2 hours ago
Grinning Cat liked Joan Denoo's blog post We need a new narrative.
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service